Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85' 550L Must wait to re-start after running, needs a lot of choke or gas to idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a rebuild kit coming, actually it is a set of 4, I'll have a spare set for later down the road if needed.. I'm going to take both carbs apart again and do the GUNK soaking method, though he said he did it, I'll be sure it's 24 hr soak... there has to be a reason the engine isn't getting fuel, and since the fuel is mixed with the air in the carbs that must be it right so.. here we go again..

also a rebuilt kit for the petcock coming also.. I know you guys say just buy a new one outright, a new one is about 2/3 more expensive but I'm confident I can fix it once I pull it apart.. whoever owned this before just decided not to fix it or get a new one, they just plugged off the vacuum connections and called it a day, which also isn't helping the fuel get to where it needs to go.. as it stands now, if I unplug the vacuum connection on the petcock, fuel flows freely out of it..

thanks for your help Steve, be awesome to have you swing by when you make your trip down into Elkins, WV.. that's where my mother was born.. only been there once or twice myself
    Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2013, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Figured out one big problem.. the idiot who I bought the bike from ruined the carbs.. for one he stripped the head off one of the four brass idle adjust screws.. , more importantly he overtightened those screws and wedged the needle tips through the holes, so the springs are pointless because they are stuck sticking out into the main passage way (they are really lodged firm, I can't push them back out because the brass pointy tips bend...), another annoying thing he did also was he way over torqued the screws that hold the two cross beam brackets .......sooo, the carbs look great, but have a couple serious problems, maybe unfixable I dunno.. I didn't bother soaking them in berrymans carb cleaner.....

keep in mind, those tips that wedged arent attached to the screws at all.. there is the screw, a spring, a washer and then that little needle thing sits at bottom of the shaft

lol any ideas? I'm shopping for another used set of carbs atm..

Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2013, 05:09 AM.

Comment

those idle screw tips are all broken off.. got the one stripped screw out ok. but the guy musta twisted em off.. trying to get em out but looks like they need precision drilled by professionals super tiny hole

Comment

machinist

So I couldn't find any machinist that would risk working on these rare carbs, and if they would, they wanted 500 bucks... so I had to drill the pilot outlets out myself...

I bought a drill press and the smallest drill bit I would risk using myself in such conditions which was #60 about 1.016mm, I think this was about twice the size of what the manufacturer calls for but I didn't have a choice (you try finding a .500mm bit locally, and if you buy it online lets see you use it without some ultra sensitive computer controlled lathe/press, I was already risking breaking the bit in the carb if I wasn't super careful because how tiny the 1mm bit is =(

I managed to drill them all lined up where the existing orifice was, they were straight and precise as I could manage. Everything besides rubber components was dipped/soaked in berryman chem-dip for about 30 hours, then blown out with B-12 CHEMTOOL carb cleaner, then gas, then air.

I've got the new pilot screws installed, everything has new o rings and washers/screws/gaskets valve needles springs work good, needles tips have no grooves worn in and the carbs are all back together.. working on other projects with the bike then should see how it runs.. I'm fairly sure I'll have to run the pilot screws all the way in rather than 3 turns out to compensate for larger orifice.. well, time will tell..

Unless someone here knows of a larger tipped pilot screw I might try that would work? At any rate, the bike wasn't idling before because it was blocked off.. now it'll have some room for the fuel/air mix to go through pilot outlet at least
          Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2013, 03:42 AM.

Comment

If your carbs are that much fux0red then get a new rack. Every once in a while you can get a pair for 75-100 bucks. Much cheaper and less headache than idle screwing around with ruined parts.

Ebay is your friend in this.

Comment

I'm with Jeeprusty. I just bought a set of BS32SS off ebay for $60. They looked bad but cleaned up just fine. Cut your losses on these and move on...
              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Yeah

It's a shame because my carbs are in great shape besides that. I'm thinking I fixed em but we will see.. Mikuni BSW30SS is what this bike uses which is a pretty rare twin setup. Now I see 3 sets of them on ebay, two around $250 and the other about $111 but rough looking... I would've went for the later if I had the money, but I don't anymore.. here is the 250$ ones (physically the ones I have look even better apart from the pilot screw outlet problem I had to fix:
                Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2013, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Don't forget to do a quick check on your petcock vacuum diaphragm. Gently suck on vacuum tube and see if fuel leaks out.

This will also cause extreme richness on one cyclinder and smell of fuel.

As for the carb boots and O rings, you have to get it or else the bike won't run fine.

If you are sure the carbs are cleaned but still running rich and wetting plugs, try reducing your float height.
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

maybe I'm getting good at this

I rebuilt the petcock and the vacuum is working correctly, I had to fashion my own spring for it too lol one not too strong and not too weak, too big or too small..

I balanced the carbs myself with the airline/transmission fluid trick

Freshly painted and running good again. Am I awesome or what?! Just sucks I have a ton of money invested in this thing lol Thanks for the help everyone =D

List of things I've done/had to do:

Complete 24hr soak/clean and rebuild carburetors
                    Replace speedometer, and speedometer gear at wheel hub
                    Check and set valve clearances, new gasket for valve cover also new orings for couple things like tach cable etc
                    Replace various lightbulbs
                    Replace clutch and throttle cable
                    Replace front/rear brakes and adjust
                    New battery
                    Coil mod w/ relay w/fuse new wires and connectors (very good spark now)
                    New fuses in fuse box, cleaned off most electrical connections on bike
                    New ground for igniter
                    Change oil/filter
                    All new boots and o rings and bolts
                    New air filter
                    Airbox was warped where boots attach so had to heat up the plastic and reshape to seal correctly

New starter solenoid
                    Rebuild Starter
                    Adjust chain tension
                    Replace tires

Repair heavily banged up and dented gas tank (had several layers of paint where people didn't paint it properly) stripped tank and front fender down to bare metal and painted it right, not spray paint

Also cleaned all the varnish and rust out of tank, very thorough cleaning before painting

I'm thinking of possibly getting the tank air brushed and need to get passenger part of seat redone, will clean the engine up at some point
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Nice job getting her road-worthy again. Sometimes it doesn't make financial sense (as in my 850) but man, it sure is rewarding when all is said and done. Have you had it out for a test ride yet, or are you buried under a foot of snow like most of the country?
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

yeah

Yeah, I rode it home because it was in my stepdad's garage where it was warmer to work on it. It was freakin cold, and then it started raining, which turned to freezing rain as soon as I got home. It was a 20 mile ride on the 70mph highway. I kept it a nice 55mph though lol. Couldn't feel my fingertips but everything I had on was waterproof luckily, but it was worth it to get back on her again. I was going through withdraw. =D

Comment

here

Everything is fixed, starts every time, idles and runs close to perfect. I did some things that weren't recommended here but it all worked for me. Among them: Like rebuilding the petcock even when the original spring was lost and had to make my own. Whether needed or not the ignition coil mod works. I purchased a drill press and the smallest drill bit in town and drilled out the pilot screw holes because the idle screw tips were all broken off and firmly lodged (no machinist wanted to touch that problem). Long story short: the biggest problem was engine wasn't getting fuel, which had to do with the vacuum. Thanks for everyone's help.

Comment

Thank's for update- glad it's running well ! don't abandon the forum, your experience(s) will help the next guy!

Oh -please no more pics ,cuz I'm jealous here's my driveway yesterday-yes, that's all ice
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                            X