Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove Carb Bowl No. 1 on Bike?

1981 GS750E

No. 1 is not getting gas after my carb rebuild. I took out the drain plug and there's no gas in the bowl. The other 3 are fine and the bike runs.

I'm thinking maybe the float is stuck on the new bowl gasket but I really don't feel like wrestling the whole gang out again just to check.

Has anyone ever had any luck removing the No. 1 bowl with the carbs still on the bike?

Any tips are welcomed.

Well, if you can get the tools in there, go for it. Just be careful not to damage the float taking the bowl off from the unusual orientation.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      Well, if you can get the tools in there, go for it. Just be careful not to damage the float taking the bowl off from the unusual orientation.
      1 and 4 fairly easy. 2 and 3 possible if you are stubborn and have the right tools..
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        1 and 4 fairly easy. 2 and 3 possible if you are stubborn and have the right tools..
        Yeah, I feel lucky that it's an outside carb.

Right tools?

I was thinking a Phillips bit in the corresponding sized socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet.

What say you?

Comment

If the bowl had been taken off before and you know the screw can be easily removed sure. But if not, you might end up needing an impact driver.

Curious - why didn't you replace the old screws with socket caps? Sure would make this part easier in my opinion
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalOwner View Post
            Yeah, I feel lucky that it's an outside carb.

Right tools?

I was thinking a Phillips bit in the corresponding sized socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet.

What say you?

Maybe, I have a 1/4 drive for a socket on a flat piece of steel, it's a lot thinner than a ratchet. Also have a little wheel thing the phillips tip fits into, you just spin it in your hand. Sometimes theres only space for a shortened socket with the tip in it, that one's a bitch to turn, sometimes need pliers to turn it. PITA.

I think the tools are less important than being stubborn.

Before you do all this, try whacking the float bowl on the side with a screwdriver handle or something. It might free up the float.
            Last edited by tkent02; 10-13-2013, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Check to see that the gasket isnt hitting the float anywhere and hanging it up.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I just read your first post again, you rebuilt these carbs. How did you remove the needle valve from the carb body?

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Curious - why didn't you replace the old screws with socket caps? Sure would make this part easier in my opinion
                  Yeah, it probably would. I didn't replace the bowl screws because there were no issues with them. If something works, I usually don't replace it.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  I just read your first post again, you rebuilt these carbs. How did you remove the needle valve from the carb body?
                  The float needles? Thumb and forefinger...?

The seats? Pliers with a light touch.

What are you getting at? Do tell.

Comment

The rims of the float seats easily deform from perfectly round...which causes the float needles to hang up open or closed..or somewhere in between
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      The rims of the float seats easily deform from perfectly round...which causes the float needles to hang up open or closed..or somewhere in between
                      Got it.

I'm thinking I may be able to remove the float, float needles and seat. I'll check that rim.

Is it something that can be smoothed out or is total replacement generally advised?

Comment

I have fixed them with a drill bit, but it's probably safer to replace it.

Comment

I was indeed able to remove the bowl from no. 1 carb with the gang still on the bike. Thanks to tknet02 and chuck hahn for their advice.

What I found was that the float needle was sticking up in the seat, in the closed position. A very mild tap on the carb and it fell back down. But when I raised the float again, the needle stuck again.

I raised the float and repeated the tapping process until the frequency of the needle falling by itself increased -- but it never got to the point where it would fall back down by itself every single time.

So, I figured, let's take a ride and get some gas flowing over the area and keep my fingers crossed that it works itself out.

I couldn't remove the float as the pin was inserted head out -- so I couldn't get a clear whack at the non-headed side. (But even if it was the other way, I'd probably have a helluva time getting it back in.

The test ride was great! The bike ran like a monster!! This is the first time since the carb rebuild that cylinder no. 1 actually fired and let me tell you, it was awesome!

I can't say yet that this issue is resolved but at least I know exactly what is going on.

Thanks all for the advise and encouragement.

Comment

Working...
                          X