Dies without the choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dies without the choke

Just bought an 85 GS700ES for dirt cheap. PO last had it registered in '04. He said he scoots around the neighborhood a couple times a year and that's it. Here's the problem. Bike starts fine but dies when you let off the choke. It has a V&H 4-1 exhaust on it and stock air box. I have no idea if he rejetted. I would say no. Is this a jetting problem or just dirty carbs/jets or both? I just got this yesterday and have not taken the carbs off to see how dirty they are. The plan is to dip the carbs and go from there. If he didn't rejet, how much should I go up in size and what jets do I change?

Sounds like it's running lean because of dirty carbs.

Everyone here will tell you to adjust the valves, get a new air filter and do the carb rebuild using the tutorial(s) that were written by users right here at GSR.

I just did mine and my bike runs like a raped ape!

Here's the link(s):

and

Good luck!!

Comment

New member here...just joined today. I just bought an '82 GS1100GK on Oct. 11th that likes to die without either working the choke or throttle. Drove it 50 miles home from the PO's home and once I got it home, it still idled below 1000RPM and sounds a little rough. When I give it throttle, it wakes up and responds well...no surging, flat spots or hesitation during acceleration or cruising either. It just doesn't like to idle. Ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Jory View Post
        New member here...just joined today. I just bought an '82 GS1100GK on Oct. 11th that likes to die without either working the choke or throttle. Drove it 50 miles home from the PO's home and once I got it home, it still idled below 1000RPM and sounds a little rough. When I give it throttle, it wakes up and responds well...no surging, flat spots or hesitation during acceleration or cruising either. It just doesn't like to idle. Ideas?
        I could be a few different things but since this is the carb/fuel forum, I'll mention the possibility of the idle jets being clogged.

Now, others with much more expertise will advise you further, I'm just a hobbyist, but gummed a up idle circuit is pretty common with engines that don't get used everyday because of the ethanol in modern gasoline.

Just adding my .02 cents because I'm here but like I said, there's a lot of guys at GSR that have a lot of knowledge and I'm not necessarily one of them.

Comment

I wonder if a bottle of Sea Foam could help clear out some of the gumming. It runs great outside of just idling. It also has a inline fuel filter, but the tank looks pretty good as far as rust goes. I'd rather not go straight into a carb tear-down/rebuild quite yet. I've already got my '71 Maverick that likes to keep me occupied with stuff like that.

Comment

Seafoam won't HURT it, but won't necessarily help, either. It's a good first step. You can try disconnecting the fuel line, running them almost dry, and then loading the carbs full of Seafoam (or Techron if you have it). Let it sit for a day, and see if it helps. Some have tried this with success.

As far as rust goes, the fuel sending unit can rust up, and the top of the tank likes to rain down fine rust that you wouldn't necessarily see from peeking through the filler hole. A proper inline fuel filter, installed correctly, shouldn't cause a problem at idle, but isn't really necessary as the larger rust particles will get caught up on the petcock screen inside the tank.

As usual, all bets are off when it comes to a 30 year old vehicle.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by tigerfan474 View Post
              Just bought an 85 GS700ES for dirt cheap. PO last had it registered in '04. He said he scoots around the neighborhood a couple times a year and that's it. Here's the problem. Bike starts fine but dies when you let off the choke. It has a V&H 4-1 exhaust on it and stock air box. I have no idea if he rejetted. I would say no. Is this a jetting problem or just dirty carbs/jets or both? I just got this yesterday and have not taken the carbs off to see how dirty they are. The plan is to dip the carbs and go from there. If he didn't rejet, how much should I go up in size and what jets do I change?
              This sounds like your pilot circuits are clogged. Time for a carb rebuild using the guide on BassCliff's web site. For a pipe he should have gone up a couple of sizes on the main jets, but at idle you are not running off the mains (for the most part), you are running off the pilots.

Comment

Have you tried adjusting the main idle screw in the center of the carb bank to increase the idle speed?

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  Have you tried adjusting the main idle screw in the center of the carb bank to increase the idle speed?
                  No, I haven't tried that yet since I'm not all that familiar with the bike yet. Does turning in (clockwise) speed up the idle? Is it the big knob in the middle? Sorry for the noob questions...

Comment

Yes, it is the big knob in the middle at the back of the carbs. Clockwise will speed up the idle.

Comment

No, I haven't tried that yet since I'm not all that familiar with the bike yet. Does turning in (clockwise) speed up the idle? Is it the big knob in the middle? Sorry for the noob questions...
                      Yes to both questions, but do make sure it is the black knob attached in the middle of the carbs, and NOT the cam chain tensioner (wouldn't be the first time somebody made that mistake).
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Idle adjuster picture (#2) with bonus Basscliff Megawelcome...

1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Originally posted by fishfarm View Post
                          Idle adjuster picture (#2) with bonus Basscliff Megawelcome...

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=173755
                          Thanks for the link! That's a whole lot of awesomeness.

Comment

Working...
                          X