Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 gs550 dies breaks up after 5500rpm, what size mains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs550 dies breaks up after 5500rpm, what size mains?

I recently purchased a 1981 gs550 with a 4-1 exhaust and have added k&n filters. The bike runs fine up to about 5500 rpm and it starts breaking up. I was told I need bigger main jets. I'm currently running 2 sizes larger than stock, though I cant remember what size they were. What size should I change to?

Here's a chart

It's likely this new-to-you bike needs a few maintenance issues addressed- look for bwringer's common issues in this link

Welcome- your problem could be wrong jets or a petcock that doesn't deliver enough fuel to carbs, but suspect everything - don't put much faith in PO's efforts.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

First, you need to run through all the basic maintenance Tom pointed to.
      Next, you can try just changing the mains. However, I strongly suggest that you first pull the carbs off and see what is in there. For pods and a pipe, it is strongly suggested that you bite the bullet and go with a DynoJet STage 3 kit. With a pipe you can generally get away with just a main jet adjustment. With pods and CV carbs, not usually.

Comment

Working...
      X