Race exhaust? GS1000e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Race exhaust? GS1000e

I have searched a little bit but didn't find much. I hoping to build my 79 gs1000e this winter. I am looking to do an sv650 front end and rear wheel with a set of yss shocks. So with that being said I need an exhaust that won't drag when I have it leaned over. I prefer a pipe with an open baffle. I found a bassani but it's not cheap. Any advice would be great.

I use a Marving race exhaust on my 78' 1000. A shop in Idaho sells them.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The Bassani Superbike pipe is highly sought after and won't drag

The open baffle, your carbs won't like that, especially if you've got CVs

I'll skip the noise issue
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The bike has a vance and hines open hearder and it runs great. The bike will be rode to work a few times a week in between track days and I like the noise. Firm believer in load pipes saves lives.

Anybody have an idea what a bassani is worth? I have looked into a motogpwerks pipe and like that system as well.

Comment

You will undoubtedly pay MORE for a second hand Basanni than you would for the Motogpwerks pipe. I really like my Motogpwerks unit.

Comment

Is that the race pipe? I have talked to chris through ebay a few times and he keeps telling the race pipe is $800 but I see it on ebay for $500? Kind of confused. Looks killer

Comment

Originally posted by white79bu View Post
              Is that the race pipe? I have talked to chris through ebay a few times and he keeps telling the race pipe is $800 but I see it on ebay for $500? Kind of confused. Looks killer
              Thanks for saying so. It is the race version. I bought it through ebay and from the top of my head it was $550 or so plus shipping.

Comment

That is not a 500 pipe ,I only made 5x ever off those.The headers are direct copy off a basani pipe (slightly changed collector) way bigger primarys and longer ,the tail is completely different also with a alloy muffler.You really need a at least a big bore and bigger carbs to get gains from such a larger primarys and a open muffler. Also they sit differently under the sump like the race pipe than a street pipe.Also you will need to change your rearsets.
                I doult i will make anymore.There is many exhaust guys in japan still making exhaust for this bike they range from 1200-3000 shipped.

Comment

Red,
                  Why wouldn't you make any more of them? Is there just no call for that particular pipe? Don't get me wrong... I'm glad to have such an exclusive pipe, I'm just wondering? Paul

Comment

Gs guys are not willing to pony up compared to cbx or Z1 owners hopefully this will change as prices rise on Gs's/katana's in saying that all pipes i make mostly go overseas anyways,A $550 pipe cost me 700 to make at 80per hour + stainless and machining so i usually need to make 10x to make any form off profit.I just make them to keep my welding skills up and inbetween builds also i brought out a exhaust company at the start off the year (motoworks) with there heavy machines so i was just making them to pay off my investment.
                    I have calfab swingarms jigs and extrustion just waiting for me to build gs/kz ones but i can't due to the prices will be 650-700 for a swingarm...can't see people buying them.
                    I built yoshimura heatsheilds for gs range at 95 each they cost 83 to make and the tooling was 1800us for ther stamping die....I just give them away when i feel like it with a exhaust nowdays ...another bust
                    I have a chromemoly katana frame im building now a direct copy but with all bracing and tube size and wall thickness it different for a friend who is racing in australia so im building a couple more but at 2800-3200us each i expect them also will be going overseas .I have a GMD computrack (makes it easy )so iM transfering 2006 gsxr frame specs to this katana frame .
                    To build just one off pipe takes 6-10 hours depending on if i have to spend 1-1.5hrs bending tubes .So when you quote a guy 800-1200 for a one off pipe + i need there bike they throw a fit ,usually they tell me thats what they paid for the bike in the first place or they can buy a V/H or mac for 250.00.
                    I just brought a huge Vapour blaster from skunk works ,only one on the west coast for motorcycles,seems like i will make more money with that than my whole production shop.....
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by motogpwerks View Post
                      Gs guys are not willing to pony up compared to cbx or Z1 owners hopefully this will change as prices rise on Gs's/katana's in saying that all pipes i make mostly go overseas anyways,A $550 pipe cost me 700 to make at 80per hour + stainless and machining so i usually need to make 10x to make any form off profit.I just make them to keep my welding skills up and inbetween builds also i brought out a exhaust company at the start off the year (motoworks) with there heavy machines so i was just making them to pay off my investment.
                      I have calfab swingarms jigs and extrustion just waiting for me to build gs/kz ones but i can't due to the prices will be 650-700 for a swingarm...can't see people buying them.
                      I built yoshimura heatsheilds for gs range at 95 each they cost 83 to make and the tooling was 1800us for ther stamping die....I just give them away when i feel like it with a exhaust nowdays ...another bust
                      I have a chromemoly katana frame im building now a direct copy but with all bracing and tube size and wall thickness it different for a friend who is racing in australia so im building a couple more but at 2800-3200us each i expect them also will be going overseas .I have a GMD computrack (makes it easy )so iM transfering 2006 gsxr frame specs to this katana frame .
                      To build just one off pipe takes 6-10 hours depending on if i have to spend 1-1.5hrs bending tubes .So when you quote a guy 800-1200 for a one off pipe + i need there bike they throw a fit ,usually they tell me thats what they paid for the bike in the first place or they can buy a V/H or mac for 250.00.
                      I just brought a huge Vapour blaster from skunk works ,only one on the west coast for motorcycles,seems like i will make more money with that than my whole production shop.....
                      I have two of your pipes they are remarkeable, I would gladly pay for a calfab swingarm to do a build. I tend to agree and I have stated it in the past, this forum drives the price of our machines down. The bottom line, there is a price associated with great quality complimented by great looks and great performance, there is no substitute. In my opinion gpmotowerks knocks it out of the park.
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2013, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Well I just had a few things fall in place this morning and by the time I got home from work the last motowerks pipe was sold. That sucks! I guess I am back to square 1.

Comment

I'd email Joesigns, he's an actual #1 Vintage superbike racer and see what he runs
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Looks like Joe is using a Bassani.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I have talked to joe in the past and got a lot of good ideas from him. I gave him a call a few days and go and left a message.

I tracked down a bassani but its for an 1150. I know it will probably work. But now I cant get the guy to respond about buying it.

Comment

Working...
                              X