got it running, sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got it running, sort of

After the extensive rebuild, it failed to start so, I took the carbs off again and adjusted the floats until there is no doubt they are set correctly...I found that when I was putting the top of the carb back on number 4 I had pinched the rubber on the slide and it wasn't sealed correctly...I put the carbs back on and attempted to start the bike...Well, with choke on it caught for a little bit, then died. I set the choke on and it caught again, very intermittently, and then backfired and died...I sprayed a little starter fluid in and started it again. I gave it a little gas and it ran for a while and died...

Once again I attempted to start it and it ran roughly and backfired...I have made sure the valves were right on, new coils R/R plugs, wires, battery, rebuilt carbs, back to the original jetting...I just don't know what to do at this point..

similar experience...

check the bench...turn up the idle speed adjustment ...

I had to do this on a 650 this past spring ....its worth a try ...

Comment

I'll try that...Also I will set the air mixture screw at 2.5 turns...The back firing has me baffled.

Comment

I have not fully read all your posts on exactly what you have done during the "extensive rebuild" on your bike.

However, if you had the cylinder head off and cams out, your backfiring problem leads me to think that your cam (valve) timing is off by 1 or 2 teeth.
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Working...
        X