Gas cap gasket/seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas cap gasket/seal

1981 Gs550T with the rectangular gas cap. Where can I get a new rubber seal for this cap ? It is torn and can't find it on EBAY or parts list. Or where can I ind or whay kind of rubber would I use ? It leaks and is torn.

Buy a new/used cap or make one. Never seen a PN for one. Maybe use a mud flap ?

Comment

I really do not want to pay for a new gas cap, $80 on EBAY. Anyone else have any idea's ?

Comment

The $25.00 ones (caps) from Thailand have a weak key mechanism, but the seals fit...at least the one for my 650 did.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Thanks for the info, that may be what I will have to do.

Comment

What about a piece of 1/16 red rubber gasket material from a plumbing supply cut to fit? not sure of its gas resistance though. It seems to be pretty tough.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

somewhere on this site is a thread detailing how to make one.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Good

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                The $25.00 ones (caps) from Thailand have a weak key mechanism, but the seals fit...at least the one for my 650 did.
                That's good information. I always wondered if the seals would be similar, so now we know.

Also, you might be able to make one out of a car or truck inner tube. If it didn't end up being thick enough, you could trace and cut another one and put them together....maybe.
                1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                    My 650 failed its MOT with a perished seal, so that is what I did.

Comment

I think Suzuki 85413-70000 is the correct one, and actually seems to fit a ton of Suzuki stuff even outside of motorcycles. Its sometimes hard to determine as for some reason I think they were left out of the parts books. I seem to recall it being slightly different than original when I got one for my GS450 but still works. I see it listed several places as fitting the GS550 too which I think is the same underneath the cap.

Comment

Wow

Originally posted by PPPPPP42 View Post
                        I think Suzuki 85413-70000 is the correct one, and actually seems to fit a ton of Suzuki stuff even outside of motorcycles. Its sometimes hard to determine as for some reason I think they were left out of the parts books. I seem to recall it being slightly different than original when I got one for my GS450 but still works. I see it listed several places as fitting the GS550 too which I think is the same underneath the cap.
                        I don't know where you found that number but I think you're exactly right!

I always wondered why gaskets weren't listed on the microfiches but I looked up "suzuki gas cap gaskets" up in the Google 'images' and it sure looks like the right thing. Good find!

Comment

I think I will try 85413-70000 . Thanks for the info and help.
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2013, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Wait a second!

Originally posted by Dougbo View Post
                            My GS550T cap seal us rectangular to match the shape of the cap but I think I will try 85413-70000 . Thanks for the info and help.
                            Doug, if your gasket is rectangular, I can't imagine that it will work. (Kind of like the proverbial 'square peg in a round hole'.)

Comment

Outer shape is rectangular but the center is round. Outer does not affect the seal.

Comment

Working...
                              X