No announcement yet.

Gas cap gasket/seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That part number might work for you, but I suspect it will not seal properly. It will NOT work for the 81-83 650s.

According to Partzilla, it is good for the 77-79 550, and an assortment of pre-80s 750s, plus a couple of 450s, and an oddball.

'83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I have not bought one of these yet from them but Parts N More has new caps for $25;

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/suzuki/gs550t/?filters[fitting]=custom

you'll just have to deal with having two keys (one for the tank and one for the seat).
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Why did Suzuki make so many changes ? I changed the front brake rotor and the only other one that worked was off a GS650. Still need a gas cap gasket.

Comment

The gasket for our bike isn't sold separately Doug - You'll probably need to see my post above you if you are going to replace it.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

That is sure stupid, makes me wish I'd stuck with a Honda. Thanks for the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by UK-GT View Post
              My 650 failed its MOT with a perished seal, so that is what I did.
              GULP! idid'nt even know that was part of the M.O.T

Comment

I'm going to try the gasket mentioned to see if it will work all the replacement caps show a round seal not the rectanguar. Worth a try. If don't work I may get the $25 cap.

Comment

Doug,

the replacement seal for the kind of cap you have IS round. The differences between years has to do with the inside and outside diameters. With the style on your 550T, there is also a raised lip that locks inside the cap mechanism. Some of the earlier seals do not have that flap, and are essentially round, flat, gaskets.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by rockford View Post
                    That's good information. I always wondered if the seals would be similar, so now we know.

Also, you might be able to make one out of a car or truck inner tube. If it didn't end up being thick enough, you could trace and cut another one and put them together....maybe.
                    bicycle innertube is thinner... motorcycle is thicker, car innertube thicker yet and then to trucks...I use innertube a lot. Does not seem much affected by gas...the Best elastic bands you can have, too.

Comment

Got the gasket today and it will not work. A little smaller diameter . Original has a goofy metal support underneath the gasket and is held to cap with a wire snap ring.
                      May end up with a new cap eventually. Can't repaint the tank 'til it is fixed.

Comment

I bought one on Ebay once Was too small for my 850 It was that 85413-70000 part

Comment

Thats the one. Why was Suzuki so screwed up back then ? Few parts fit from other 550's on my T.

Comment

Not sure what yours looks like, but here's what I used for mine. Seems to work ok and certainly worth a try for 6 bucks.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...49#post1890749
                            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Working...
                            X