Can't fit the carbs back on the boots-GSX400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't fit the carbs back on the boots-GSX400

I tried to re-install the carbs on the boots yesterday, and they dont fit.
    the boots are hard and not flexible, i know the best thing is to replace them but they actually seem to be in good condition and i don't think that they'er as old as the bike.
    I tried with silicon spray and it didn't work.
    there's no airbox so it's not a matter of no room to work.
    Putting the boots on the carbs first looks like it wont work because i wouldn't be able to put in the bolts.

any ideas?

Eran

heat

I have heard of guys heating the boots up with a hot air gun. (Like a heavy duty blow dryer). If you have some way to warm them without burning them up it makes the boots more flexible.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

What about soaking the boots in hot water? Same concept as the heat gun idea.

Comment

I can try with the wife's hair dryer

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=169370 it really does work.

Comment

yes, warmth works! All good ideas above.
            however, I opine:
            Hopefully, you have already shifted your airbox back. You usually need to unbolt and shift part of the rear fender to do this.

Hair dryers are a bit weak for the work in Northern Climates while a hot air gun (used for stripping paint) is excellent but should be used carefully on a low setting Keep the heat on long enough to thoroughly warm. In Israel, where you are, you will not need it so close as we in Northern climes. They really are a useful tool for many things.

Hot water on a rag wrapped 'round, while wearing gloves! will help and I think it is near the ideal temperature just below boiling.

Read the thread per SVsooke's suggestion - perhaps you can find
            this stuff jabcb and SVSooke are using with success : "Rubber Renue" to keep it soft and save repeated applications taking the carbs off and on. It'd be good to do this now, while you can get at the boots inside and out.

my tinkering indicates wintergreen oil directly applied to the warmed surface also helps to soften.

Comment

I'm going to use pods so no airbox, and i found a place to buy this wintergreen oil so i'll give it a try (with hot water)

thanks for all the good advice

Comment

If they're that hard, then you will have intake leaks and will likely find yourself with the dreaded hanging idle symptoms, I had the same issue with mine.

As they go hard, they also shrink, which stops the clamps from clamping down properly and providing a good seal.

I've heard the wintergreen thing a few times now so hopefully that sorts them for you!

Definitely post results...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

You can also lightly grease the inside of the boot to help the carbs slide in.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                  X