Rejet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejet question

Hello.. I have a 78 gs750 cafe. It has air pods and 4 to 1 exhaust. I rebuilt the carbs and changed the jets with ones from the kit. The guy i got the bike from gave me the kit with the bike. a guy i know said that that kit has the stock size jets and i need to change them to run my current set up better.. Anyone know what size i need to go to? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

i too am interested in exactly this subject, so will be waiting patiently with you

Comment

I would start by raising the jet needle two notches (putting the e-clip towards the tip two notches) and putting in a 117.5 main jets. May be a little rich but that's the way to start.
      I'd also take out the air and fuel screws about a half a turn each the stock setting.
      Last edited by chef1366; 11-09-2013, 12:36 AM.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by ATNasty View Post
        Hello.. I have a 78 gs750 cafe. It has air pods and 4 to 1 exhaust. I rebuilt the carbs and changed the jets with ones from the kit. The guy i got the bike from gave me the kit with the bike. a guy i know said that that kit has the stock size jets and i need to change them to run my current set up better.. Anyone know what size i need to go to? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
        You don't know what size jet you put in?

What kit are you talking about?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I haven't seen a jet kit for a VM 750 in decades.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I rebuilt the carbs and changed the jets with ones from the kit. The guy i got the bike from gave me the kit with the bike. a guy i know said that that kit has the stock size jets and i need to change them to run my current set up better..
            First, we will have to know what "the kit" is.

If you are talking about those expensive, useless "rebuild kits", yes, they are pretending to be stock size jets, but there are no guarantees on how accurate they are.

Did you notice that those kits did not include all the o-rings that you needed to fully rebuild the carbs? You could have saved about $80 by getting the o-ring kit from cycleorings.com and using all your stock brass pieces.

Your main jets need to be increased a few sizes for the pipe and a few more for the pods. How many sizes will depend on whether you have good or cheap pods, as well as the quality and type of baffle in the pipe. Since we are not (yet) mind readers, we are not even going to guess and throw out some numbers.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              You don't know what size jet you put in?

What kit are you talking about?
              I dont know.. The bike wouldnt start when i got it.. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb with the kit that the guy had. I got it running but not well.. I dont have a clue what kind it is.. But i showed my friend the remander of the kit and he knew what it was and said the kit has stock size jets. I quess a better question is what are the proper jets to use with air pods and 4to1 exhaust? And how can i get this bike running proper?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                First, we will have to know what "the kit" is.

If you are talking about those expensive, useless "rebuild kits", yes, they are pretending to be stock size jets, but there are no guarantees on how accurate they are.

Did you notice that those kits did not include all the o-rings that you needed to fully rebuild the carbs? You could have saved about $80 by getting the o-ring kit from cycleorings.com and using all your stock brass pieces.

Your main jets need to be increased a few sizes for the pipe and a few more for the pods. How many sizes will depend on whether you have good or cheap pods, as well as the quality and type of baffle in the pipe. Since we are not (yet) mind readers, we are not even going to guess and throw out some numbers.

I didnt spend any money on the kits.. The guy that i got the bike from just had them.he didnt even know what it was.. They came in little ziplock like bags. I do remember the they didnt have all the rubber pieces needed.
                The air pods that came on the bike im pretty sure are Mikuni they are chrome looking with wire mesh.

Comment

No those are the Emgo Dirt Sifters. They filter nothing, flow no air, and are untunable.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    No those are the Emgo Dirt Sifters. They filter nothing, flow no air, and are untunable.
                    Really? Could you point me in the right direction of some good filters please?

Comment

K&N or APE are very good.

Comment

I cleaned and rebuilt the carb with the kit that the guy had.
                        How did you "clean" the carb? If you just unloaded a can of spray in its general direction, you still need to CLEAN the carbs. (click the link)

I quess a better question is what are the proper jets to use with air pods and 4to1 exhaust?
                        Did you happen to see my post directly over yours?
                        It was almost two hours earlier, so you probably refreshed the screen.
                        Here is the part that answers that question:

And how can i get this bike running proper?
                        You are new, so you probably haven't introduced yourself in the GS Owners section. (I just looked back through your 5-post history and see that, indeed, you haven't.) When you do a proper introduction, our resident greeter (and all-around great guy) will give you his MegaWelcome, which gives links to all the information that you will need. It's not a quick process that will have you running by this evening, so sit down, have a read and get ready to get your fingernails dirty.

In the meantime, be sure to also look at the Top 10 Newbie Mistakes to make sure you don't do any more of them. (click the link)
                        So far, there is only evidence of commiting the first six errors (#1 has two parts) and possibly the last two.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I quess a better question is what are the proper jets to use with air pods and 4to1 exhaust?

And how can i get this bike running proper?
                          There is no single setting that works for all bikes - there are many factors that make every bike different

So, you have to start somewhere and tune to your factors -which exhaust, pods, compression, altitude, etc, etc,etc

BTW, did yoy save the brass parts you took out? If so, look closely for a number and a double box symbol

Proper - check the megawelcome, especially the newbie mistakes
                          You're getting ahead of yourself, you have a lot of work to do first
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

How did you "clean" the carb? If you just unloaded a can of spray in its general direction, you still need to CLEAN the carbs. (click the link)

Did you happen to see my post directly over yours?
                            It was almost two hours earlier, so you probably refreshed the screen.
                            Here is the part that answers that question:

You are new, so you probably haven't introduced yourself in the GS Owners section. (I just looked back through your 5-post history and see that, indeed, you haven't.) When you do a proper introduction, our resident greeter (and all-around great guy) will give you his MegaWelcome, which gives links to all the information that you will need. It's not a quick process that will have you running by this evening, so sit down, have a read and get ready to get your fingernails dirty.

In the meantime, be sure to also look at the Top 10 Newbie Mistakes to make sure you don't do any more of them. (click the link)
                            So far, there is only evidence of commiting the first six errors (#1 has two parts) and possibly the last two.

Hahaha.. Thanks i just introduced myself in the owners thread. Lots of knowledge on this forum.. Im guilty of 1a,2,3 and 4.. kind of .. I got the bike the way it is. I do want to learn the bike. so I will be reading a whole lot. thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X