Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 with uni Pod Filters Success

Hi all

Been taking so much from this website and learning so much for the past year and I feel its time I give back.
    Did a rebuild cafe style for my 1981 Gs550tx recently and decided to go uni pod filters, hoping for perfomance improvements and of course the looks.

Please note that this is me sharing my experience and settings. It is not a guarantee that this will work for others but if you are thinking of trying and been wondering if uni pod filters can work....hope this is the glimmer of light

The bike:
    1. 1981 GS550TX
    2. Standard pistons and rings. No overbore.
    3. 4 into 2 exhaust. Standard headers with custom made mufflers
    4. Coil relay mod done
    5. Carburetors CV type thoroughly cleaned and rebuilt.
    6. Petcock vacuum type OEM as the old one has a vacuum. Diaphragm leakage

Carburetor:
    1. 4 uni pod filters. Some really cheap ones as I'm in Malaysia and it's difficult to get access to k&n or even emgo ones. Got the filters at retail price at USD 16 for 4!
    2. Confirmed no air leaks on intake boots
    3. New O rings for intake boots

Carb settings (the fun part )
    1. Dynojet kit made for katana as this is the only one they have for 4 carbs 550s
    2. Did the slide hole drill as per instructions from dynojet
    3. Did the pilot jet air hole insert and glue as per dynojet instructions. Make sure u don't get glue on the tiny hole if the insert provided.
    4. Used the new jet needle from dynojet kit and adjusted to 4th ring from top. Dynojet says 3rd but that was too lean.
    5. Used the main jet 155 instead of 150. Kit comes with both sets
    6. Carb float set to std 22.4+-
    7. Mixture screw set to 3 turns from seat

As can be seen from above, the cheap uni pod filters don't offer much resistance if any at all. As such the jetting must allow much more fuel than k&n dual filters.

The bike pulls really amazingly through the entire range of the throttle. Idles well...I still need to vac sync them as I don't have the vac sync tool.

Performance increased substantially and the ride is very smooth.

I will be doing another similar jetting for my friends bike same model and all but with 4 into 1 exhaust. Shall post pics from that and share the results as well.

I hope the helps if you are contemplating on uni pod filters. If it worked on my bike, it might work on others as well.

As for mileage, don't ask me as I don't know cause I'm having issues with my speedo and hope to get help from the gurus here on the electrical forum. From riding the bike, I feel it does consume more but not really noticeable

You can see some pics of the bike from my profile album. Still trying to figure out how to use photobucket as doesn't seen to be working for me.

Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2013, 02:37 PM.

Congratulations on getting your diaphragm carbs sorted to work with pods! So many people say it can't be done!

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
      Congratulations on getting your diaphragm carbs sorted to work with pods! So many people say it can't be done!
      ''
      I haven't heard it can't be done. I have heard it can't be done without a jet kit.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I have heard it can't be done without a lot of trial and error.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

without the correct needles you are beating a sore dick.
          jet kit comes with correct needles.
          good thread...cool bike...not sure on the "can't be done" comment

Comment

Those aren't Uni pods. They're just cheap pods. Uni is a brand, and they look noticably different.

Comment

Congratulations! Looks like you've done a great job. Nice clean lines and the paint looks old school fantastic!

Comment

Good to hear. I've got pods on the way and the jet kit sitting here. Also, where in the hell is your battery?

Comment

Oops....didn't know uni is a brand...thought it meant single individual pod. Thanks for the correction.

The battery is inside the seat cowl and electronics underneathe seat.

Comment

Originally posted by csgoh View Post
                    The battery is inside the seat cowl and electronics underneathe seat.
                    Love it, dude.

Comment

That is a good looking bike.

Comment

All GS550's should look as good as your bike. Very well done indeed.

Comment

Working...
                        X