Quieter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quieter

When I got my bike it had V&H 4-1 pipes on it. They are really nice and sound great but I would like to make it a little less loud. Can I do anything to these pipes or do I need to get something else? It has what I am guessing are the stock baffles in those pipes. LIke I said they sound great, pop a bit when they come off load but I havent checked jets yet. I am wonder if bette baffles might help that as well.

Try repacking the glass inside?

With new glass they shouldn't be too loud.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I REALLY dislike loud pipes!

My 1979 GS 1000 has what are purported to be a Two Brothers 4-into-1 system. When I first got it running, it was ungodly loud. I pulled the can apart, and there was NO packing in it. I packed it with stainless steel wool. Still too loud. The baffle was a straight-through design. I added a cap over the end of the baffle. Still too loud, but better, and it moved the power down in the rpm range. The pipe was 2" ID. I found a product made for Jardine systems called a Quiet Module; essentially a dB killer. Installed it, and it's much quieter, without killing the power.
      1979 GS 1000

Comment

I have a straight through baffle as well. I packed mine with dirtbike muffler packing material and it's nice around town and yet has a nice growl at WOT. Like tkent said, repack it. I think you'll like the sound then.
        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Do you guys have any links for what packing to get and maybe a guide on how to repack it? I have never done that before.

Comment

Google motorcycle exhaust packing, there's a ton of stuff. It's easy
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When I bought my GPz it had no packing on the Kerker baffle. I picked up some yellow fiberglass sheets at Ace Hardware store, cut out a section and wrapped the baffle, then secured it with thin wire.
              I used a sound meter to measure the sound before and after, it was twice as quiet after I repacked it.
              The fiberglass has not blown out, either.

Comment

If you have a cycle gear in your area, they carry it. I get mine from FMF and I use their pink 4-stroke material.
                1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I use the stuffing out of, engine exhaust / thermo blanketing. These blankets are for stationary engines and larger marine applications.
                  the stuffing doesn't burn. It is a very soft wool like material. The places that make these blankets will usually give you enough to repack a muffler for next to nothing.
                  GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Repack the baffle (Vance and Hines carries the packing as well as Dennis Kirk, shouldn't be that hard to find) and the popping it probably the pipe sucking in cold air at the collector and where it slides into the megaphone. Mine would pop like crazy letting off the throttle. I took an exhaust pipe expander and expanded the collector some so it slide in tighter. So far very little if any popping now.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                    X