fuel petcock help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel petcock help

ok, i have an 81 750 gs, no manual, sooooo, my question is whats the positions of the pectcock when in operation?

Welcome to the site, go here to download a copy of the manual: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

If the lever points forward it's on reserve, down is on, and to the rear is prime. Everything but prime is controlled by vacuum so if the engine's not running and it's in the on or reserve position fuel shouldn't flow. If it does, replace the petcock. Don't leave it on prime for too long or you'll wind up with gas in the oil if you aren't careful.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

oh thank you!!!!!!! been looking for a manual and having no luck thank you thank you thank you

Comment

Originally posted by muslinging79 View Post
        oh thank you!!!!!!! been looking for a manual and having no luck thank you thank you thank you
        There are no levers on this particular petcock. What you will see is a slotted valve. Normal running position for the slot is horizontal, vertical is prime. The engine vacuum controls the petcock's on/off flow. These petcocks can be a real PITA.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Hi and I good luck with your 750.

If you decide to go with a replacement, I have been using Pingels on the old bikes.
          I have rebuilt the old stock ones on a number of bikes and I have a GPZ900 and a GS1000 that both have Pingels.

Kind pricey, but after you have to rebuild\replace the stock ones, buying a Pingel doesn't seem like that much of an investment. Below is a link so you can check it out.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
          1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            If the lever points forward it's on reserve, down is on, and to the rear is prime. Everything but prime is controlled by vacuum so if the engine's not running and it's in the on or reserve position fuel shouldn't flow. If it does, replace the petcock. Don't leave it on prime for too long or you'll wind up with gas in the oil if you aren't careful.
            Actually it SHOULD work to have it in prime, as long as the carbs are functioning, but it is a bad idea, because when one carb start to leak you get exactly that, fuel in the oil, or if you are even more unlucky, hydrolock.

So, yes, only use the prime position for priming

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
              There are no levers on this particular petcock. What you will see is a slotted valve. Normal running position for the slot is horizontal, vertical is prime. The engine vacuum controls the petcock's on/off flow. These petcocks can be a real PITA.

According to the parts fiche the 81 has the standard petcock with lever (I looked before I said my post)
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                According to the parts fiche the 81 has the standard petcock with lever (I looked before I said my post)

Well from what I can tell from his pic he has posted, he has the E model. The levered petcock will not fit because there is not enough space between the bottom of the petcock and the air box. The only bike the levered petcock fits is the 81 GS750LX. Even the 81 GS750L uses the same petcock as the E.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                X