No Choke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Choke?

Hey guys, first time poster on the forum, but long time lurker.
    I bought a 1980 GS550e off craigslist to restore and ran into a bit of a problem. While I was tearing the bike down I noticed that there was no choke. At all, the jets in the carbs were there, but no sign of a cable or a place to connect it to the carbs. Can you guys post some pics of what your carburetor choke assembly looks like?
    Thanks!

You will soon see that there is not a "choke" like you might be accustomed to on other carbs. Instead, there is an "enrichment system" that uses dedicated jets to richen the mixture. The linkage for that system is attached to carb #2, shown in this picture:

As the cable pulls UP, the linkage transfers that motion to a LEFT PULL, which will pull on all four "choke" plungers.

Please note that, when you get your carbs cleaned and refurbished (hint, hint), to start the cold engine, apply full "choke", turn the key ON, pull the clutch IN, press the starter button. Do NOT turn the throttle AT ALL. If the engine is running too fast (over 2500 rpm or so), back off on the "choke". When you can blip the throttle and have decent response, the bike is ready to ride. When properly tuned, that will be about 30-45 seconds.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Alright, I just got done blasting the carbs yesterday, and am fully rebuilding them. Is this all the parts needed for it? also does the cable sit in the triple tree? Ill post pictures of mine soon.

Comment

Really close on the parts, but not close enough.

That auction is for a set of 850 carb parts.

The look is the same, but the spacing is different.

You need to find parts for a 550 or a 650.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Comment

OK, if those are your carbs, you already have the rod and the 'forks' that pull on the plungers, all you need is the rocker linkage.

That auction will do you just fine.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

You said you just finished blasting the carburetors, and they do indeed look very nice, like they've been soda or bead blasted. But if you haven't SOAKED them in carburetor cleaner they are not clean inside and you will be doing this again.

Comment

You also need to separate the rack, so you can get to all the o-rings that need to be replaced.

Your o-rings can be purchased from cycleorings.com. Get the kit for the BS series carbs, the optional o-rings for the drain screws, the o-rings for the intake boots and the stainless bolts for the boots. All together, it is less than $25.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks! and defiantly gonna soak them and poke some wire through all the holes. How hard are these carbs to separate?
                  Definatly will order the o-Ring kit for the carbs. Seeing how this was a carb problem that kept the bike from running I want to do a thorough job on the fuel system.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2013, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Not hard at all.

I think it's time to give you the key to the library.

Click HERE to get to BassCliff's "little" website, which is our official library.

While there, you can find a manual for your bike, I am sure.

Look below the manual listings at the top of the right column, you will see a Mikuni BS(CV) Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial by Mr. Nessism.

Follow those instructions TO THE LETTER.

Each shortcut you take will be one more time you have to re-do the job.

Yep, do it right, you will only have to do it ONCE. And, that one time will last for MANY years.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Alright so i broke down the carbs, which was alot easier than I expected, and found out 2 things. First, they were absolutely disgusting on the inside. and second, all the fuel orings had been hardened and just cracked right off. Another thing that caught my eye was the pilot jet on one of the carbs, do you think that I can still use it? Before I bought it somebody was messing around on the insides with all sorts of dumb mods. Also, what should I soak them in before putting them all together, I've been blasting them and want to make sure nothing is clogged! Pictures below...

Chokes should be all done soon, then comes the engine rebuild!
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-27-2013, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nbing View Post
                        Also, what should I soak them in before putting them all together, ...
                        Seriously???

Look just above your post, you will see mine, which not only tells you where to go for the answers, but gives you links.

Just in case you don't have your options set to read the oldes posts first (putting my previous post above yours), here is a copy of that post:
                        Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Not hard at all.

Click HERE to get to BassCliff's "little" website, which is our official library.

While there, you can find a manual for your bike, I am sure.

Look below the manual listings at the top of the right column, you will see a Mikuni BS(CV) Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial by Mr. Nessism.

Follow those instructions TO THE LETTER.

Each shortcut you take will be one more time you have to re-do the job.

Yep, do it right, you will only have to do it ONCE. And, that one time will last for MANY years.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Nbing View Post

Chokes should be all done soon, then comes the engine rebuild!
                          Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the engine?
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Mainly because I'm getting it powder coated, i got to strip it down to almost nothing for the oven. Also oils is getting through the rings. While its all disassembled I might as well throw on some new parts to save trouble in the future.
                            Steve, I have no clue how I missed that! Sorry for the inconvenience, Thanks for the link!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Not hard at all.

Oh no. This is so useful I can't believe I haven't seen this yet after two years owning this bike. I'm sorry to bump this thread but this is exactly what I needed... the choke lever mounted on the handlebar broke on my GS1100L so I came here looking for some insight on how to handle that and got way more than I could've hoped for.

Thank you for posting that, thanks to the OP for posting this thread, and thanks to BassCliff for hosting those manuals.

Comment

Working...
                              X