GS250 non starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS250 non starter

I've had three good years from my GS250 but a month ago it wouldn't start. I have sparks and fuel is in the carb bowls, it turnsover but won't fire at all on either cylinder. I have taken the carbs off and had a squirt so to speak. Tried easy start and again, nothing.

Any ideas? Stumped.

My guess would be electrics, is there still signs of electrical life on the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by stillben View Post
      I have taken the carbs off and had a squirt so to speak. Tried easy start and again, nothing.

Any ideas? Stumped.
      ?????? Not sure exactly what that means.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

There is sparks from the plugs on turnover and i have sprayed the carbs with carb cleaner.

Comment

Put away starting fluid quickly- it's told you what it can, no need for further use/torture. Are plug wires on correct plug? Have you ever cleaned these carbs?

try some of this..http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...-ends.html#A17
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Plug wires are on correct plugs. Plugs are new. Never cleaned the carbs. Bike was standing 7 days in a lock up. Battery good. Plugs spark when ground against engine case, though I am not sure if it is an especially good spark. Thanks for link, will check them off.

Comment

you might have to have the carbs apart & check diaphrams, o rings, clean out carb properly, ie pilot , air screw, choke passageways etc. whats your fuel tap like ? are the rubber boots from carb to air box good & carb to engine boots & o rings ?stuff on this bike could be over 30 years old !

Comment

"......Bike was standing 7 days in a lock up. "

Was gas cap locked? maybe someone "played" with fuel for amusement
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

hi tom,

yes tank was locked and bike was locked in shed.

Comment

After some cranking with no success, pull the spark plugs out and look for signs of fuel. If you're sure that you got spark at right time, all you need is a little fuel to get it to at least fire- getting it to run right is more challenging. Check that "choke" is engaging at carbs and remember NOT to apply any throttle during "choke" use.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Thanks Tom,

Last time I checked it cranked but without real sign of fuel. Plugs don't smell of petrol. Will check that choke is engaging at carbs.

Comment

I've had three good years from my GS250 but a month ago it wouldn't start. I have sparks and fuel is in the carb bowls, it turnsover but won't fire at all on either cylinder. I have taken the carbs off and had a squirt so to speak. Tried easy start and again, nothing.

Any ideas? Stumped.
                        having fuel in the carbs doesn't work unless there's enough fuel in the carbs. Might just be residual from when tap stopped working.

disconnect fuel line Try Prime position if you have one to check fuel flow...
                        OR
                        ... suggest you check for fuel flow by disconnecting both hoses from tank, attach a hose to the vacuum port on fuel tap and suck! to see if fuel is flowing. With this sidebar: vacuum port on tap may be leaking -that is:diaphragm in tap is blown , so if there's gas there, well, naturally, don't suck! and also suspect there may be gas in your oil...and the issue is all in all a bad fuel tap...

Comment

Video of the sparks here. http://youtu.be/4tO9Xc91wlA

Fuel seems to come out the petcock readily in ON and PRIME positions. Thanks Gorminrider.

Comment

Video of the sparks here. http://youtu.be/4tO9Xc91wlA

Fuel seems to come out the petcock readily in ON and PRIME positions. Thanks Gorminrider.
                            Hopefully fuel only flows in "ON" spot when you are cranking.
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

yeah thankfully fuel only flows when cranking in ON.

Comment

Working...
                              X