Choke Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke Mod

I liked the choke assembly with lever on my older VM26 carbs. I'm not happy with the cable type on my BS32 carbs. Has anyone retrofitted the BS carbs with a lever? If so, how did you do it?

When you figure out how to do it, let me know. The cable is a PITA.

Comment

My GPz has the enrichment circuit (choke) handle on the side. I looked at both, and the conversion would be almost impossible.

Comment

There was a guy named Macguyver on this forum who made a nice bellcrank type lever for his 650G a few years ago. It looked nice and looked like it would work well. I need some way to activate the choke on my 550/675 which came with VM carbs and will soon have CVs. I have been searching, can't find it.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sorry, can't help with your problem.

I don't like the cable up the middle of the steering stem, so I installed the newer thumb-activated type from an '82 to my '80.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm guessing the easiest thing would be to use the very short cable set up on the side of the carbs like Triumph used on the Trident. I know it doesn't get rid of the cable altogether but it's simple.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Sorry, can't help with your problem.

I don't like the cable up the middle of the steering stem, so I installed the newer thumb-activated type from an '82 to my '80.

Sorry to thread jack, but somewhat related. Were did you get the choke cable connections at the carbs. I have a set of 1980 carbs that I'd like to setup as a spare set for my 82 850 but the choke cable attachment is different and no longer available for purchase. I’m assuming that you only need the few parts that are different between the two years. Again, assuming the slide rod and attachments to each enricher are the same between the two years and only the cable attachment components need to be changed out.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Kyler, to be more specific, you would have to make/build your own custom choke plunger manipulation mechanism.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  Kyler, to be more specific, you would have to make/build your own custom choke plunger manipulation mechanism.
                  I was afraid you were going to say that. I have too many things to finish before race season starts so that will have to be next winters project.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                    Sorry to thread jack, but somewhat related. Were did you get the choke cable connections at the carbs. I have a set of 1980 carbs that I'd like to setup as a spare set for my 82 850 but the choke cable attachment is different and no longer available for purchase. I’m assuming that you only need the few parts that are different between the two years. Again, assuming the slide rod and attachments to each enricher are the same between the two years and only the cable attachment components need to be changed out.
                    Over the years, I have purchased several sets of carbs. In the process, I have accumulated several extra bits and pieces. I don't remember if the slide rod is any different, but the activation mechanism is definitely different.

Overall, you need the guide tube that attaches to carb #3, a different attachment to the enrichener on #4 (which also helps capture the end of the cable), the other part of the cable capture mechanism and the spring that keeps those last two parts pushed together. Then, of course, you need the proper cable (not the same as the early cables) and the mechanisms for the thumb activation. For that, you can either acquire a complete left left switch assembly or you can get just the stuff that hangs below the switch assembly and adapt it to the early housing.

If you are interested, I can check my box of spare parts to see if I have enough parts to assemble the bits for the carbs. I can pretty much guarantee, though, that I won't have anything above the carbs, like the cable and thumb lever. I just looked at your post again and see that it won't matter. You are not converting a bike, you are converting just the carbs to match your newer bike.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      There was a guy named Macguyver on this forum who made a nice bellcrank type lever for his 650G a few years ago. It looked nice and looked like it would work well. I need some way to activate the choke on my 550/675 which came with VM carbs and will soon have CVs. I have been searching, can't find it.
                      Found a picture of one idea, this is not the lever I was remembering:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

this is what I finally did

Comment

Working...
                        X