??? about tank rust cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

??? about tank rust cleaning

Going to de-rust my tank.Very light surface rust. What ratio of evapo-rust works best? Do I need to seal tank afterwards? tank sealing sucks and rather not unless absolutely ness. Thanks. Jon
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

How "very light surface rust ? have you tried a gas/two stroke oil blend and swished it around in tank? sometimes this works good enough .
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Electrolysis is my favorite method.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

BassCliff spells it out in this post.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas. The rust is pretty light up by the filler neck, but I cant see way down to the bottom. Toilet bowl cleaner sounds like the best cleaner/price combo. I will do some research on por-15 for sealing it, but the gentleman that used the bowl cleaner also said gas sealed it up well with no chemicals to use. I will try some experiments in some sheet metal and see what happens. Lots of people used nuts and bolts to loosen rust, use nuts and use string to tie them together, much easier to get back out.
          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I poured a gallon of Evaporust into my tank, swished it around for a few days and stood the tank up at different angles to let it hit all parts of the tank. I poured it out, straining it through a coffee filter,as it is re-usable. I then took an old sheet and fed it through the tank and blew it out with a compressor. I made an attachment for the shopvac by taking a small clear tube and duct taping it to the end of the hose to get any particles of rust out of the bottom of the tank. The steel becomes a bit tacky from the evaporust and some rust may stick to the tank. Looked inside with a flexible flashlight to make sure all was ok. It was as clean as a whistle.

Comment

I used a few gallons of white vinegar in an old Honda tank. The tank had moderate rust. I didn't see any pitting, so I guess the rust would have been considered surface.

The results were exceptional and the product is very safe. The bike is stored indoors with fuel in the tank. I have not seen the return of any rust since doing it over a year ago.

Comment

i used to use gravel and water and shaking to loosen up crud....

never again. not since i dropped a valuable tank while shaking .... face down... on asphalt.

now it's 100% electrolysis. if kts extra dirty, itll take longer. no big deal.
                Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Naval jelly works great, mix with hot water.
                  After you dump it out, it won't flash rust like other methods do.
                  Only let it sit in the tank for a few hours tops.

Comment

For sealing, I've used the POR-15 a couple times now... and it will probably be the first thing I do for every tank I get from here out. As long as you follow the directions to the letter, it works fabulously! The rust remover stuff that comes in the kit is pretty good stuff too... But as a museum conservator, I'm a fan of electrolytic reduction as well

Comment

Working...
                    X