No announcement yet.

gs 750 problem!!! carbs? battery? confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If *I* had one of these 2nd generation 750's....which I used to....sigh.....I would get the carbs cleaned and rebuilt, make sure the air intake components are airtight and in good shape, adjust the valves, this is imperative, these bikes love properly adjusted valves, go through the electrical system to see if there are any obvious burnt connections or wires, repair as needed.....throw in some new fresh gas and oil/filter and fire that bad boy up. (Be prepared to spend some cash on a new petcock too.)

The coil relay mod is "nice", but may not be needed at all.

After spending a bit of time reading and learning the basics of these bikes, it isn't all that difficult to get one to run properly.....for me the stumbling block is always the electrics, I hate electrics........
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I just got done checking the power to my coils 9.8. Is this really low? I know it should be 12. Will a coil relay mod make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Master077 View Post
        I just got done checking the power to my coils 9.8. Is this really low? I know it should be 12. Will a coil relay mod make a difference?
        Yes it would. So would cleaning all of the electrical connections in the ignition circuit.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I got the bike running again! ! Thank you everyone for your help! ! Now onto the charging system.

Comment

And what was the ultimate fix, or the combination that got it running....?

Comment

I pulled my carbs out and re cleaned them. Then I cleaned my gas tank. There was a lot of rust. I also fixed some burnt out wires.

Comment

I lied, now my bike doesn't want to start. This is driving me crazy. Any ideas anyone? ?

Comment

Does it crank well or is the battery weak? What is the voltage at the coils when cranking? Did you check the charging system?
                  http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                  1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

It cranks good. The battery is only 3 weeks old. According to the stator papers the charging system is good. I haven't check the voltage at the coils while cranking. I will do that when I get home. The voltage at the coils with the bike on but now running is 12.1. What should the voltage at the coils be with the starter engaged?

Comment

The coils read 10.5 volts with the bike non running. When I crank the bike it drops down 2-4 volts. After cranking the bike the coils will read .01 volts which I think is really weird. The battery will read a little over 10 volts while cranking. I think I will do the coil relay mod.

Comment

Ideally, the voltage at the coil (on the terminal with the orange/white wire) will be the same as the battery voltage under any circumstances. Some loss is acceptable, but probably not more than a volt or so.

If your battery is only reading 10 volts while cranking, it needs to be charged or replaced.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                        X