carbs cleaned and installed but bike don't want to run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbs cleaned and installed but bike don't want to run

I have a 1982 gs750. Last week I pull and cleaned the carbs. After I installed the carbs the bike doesn't want to run correctly. It will only run with choke completely out and with petcock on prime. I set the screws 1 1/2 turns out. What should I do? Should I turn the screws out more? The manual says to turn them 1 1/2.

The odds are that if it's jetted right, and if you haven't modified the intake that you have an air leak between the carb and the cylinders. Spray starter fluid around the intake boot and if it surges then you know you have a leak.

Comment

I just tried that and nothing happened. What should I do now?

Comment

Your idle circuits aren't delivering- you are compensating using "choke" to make up for lack of mixture getting thru to carb throats. Try 2 to 2.5 turns out on mixture screws. Did you dip carbs? replace carb o-rings?

Your petcock is not to blame for this problem if it delivers fuel to carb bowls.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

How did you clean them - sprayed or dipped for 24 hours in Berryman's?
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

As Cowboy eluded to..a simple spray with carb clean is a waste of time and carb spray. A full 24 dipping for the bodies and parts is the only way to be 100% sure the passages are clean.

You must flush them with lots of carb spray and air after the dipping to further flush loosened stuff out. And also be sure to take a fine wire and poke the holes pilot jets and be sure to get the hole in the very end of the pilot jets, and poke all the holes clean in the mixture tube. Again flush them with spray and air.

NOTE.....Some pilots dont have the bigger holes around the perimeter, but they all have that tiny hole in the tip. Must be sure that is open.
            Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-25-2014, 09:57 AM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Did you connect the vacuum line between the port on #2 and the petcock?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If you are getting fuel to the carbs Id say the pilot jets or passageways are plugged up. Did the bike run before the rebuild ?

Comment

I dipped the carbs and I replaced the orings. The bike ran before the rebuild. I think the petcock might have a block in the vacuum line.

Comment

I wouldn't think that the petcock issue would cause the bike to not idle without choke once the float bowls are filled and the engine is warm. Putting it on prime should take the petcock completely out of the equation as from a fuel starvation standpoint. Try blocking the vacuum port on the #2 carb and running it on prime. That may rule out a vacuum leak at the petcock. Are you sure you didn't break off the tips on the pilot screws when initially seating them? Does adjusting the screws out help at all?
                    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Master077 View Post
                      I set the screws 1 1/2 turns out. What should I do? Should I turn the screws out more? The manual says to turn them 1 1/2.
                      As much as we preach "read the manual", there are some times that it is simply ... not quite right.

The 1 1/2 turn setting was to satisfy the EPA requirements that were coming through at the time. It ran like crap and took forever to warm up to the point where it would run without "choke".

Yes, you need to turn them out more. How much? That depends on who you talk to and how much fiddling you plan on doing when it gets running. Personally, I start with the concept that a richer mixture works better with a cold engine, so I start with the screws out three full turns from lightly-seated. Yes, that is actually too much for normal running, but you are only trying to start it so you can fine-tune it. The richer mixture also helps the "choke" a bit, so you can get off that circuit sooner. Of course, when the bike is warmed up, you will need ti fine-tune the screws. They might end up in the 2 to 2 1/2 turn range, but it will be easler to come down to that (from three turns) than it will be go up.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Remove the vacuum tube from the rear of the petcock. This is the smaller tube to the rear of the petcock. Block it off so that no air can enter the carburetor from this hose. Leave petcock in prime position. Try to start.

If you have any doubts about petcock have a look at the tutorial on Basscliff's site: Petcock Tutorial.

But if it was working before the carb strip it is likely to be working after. Therefore something has not been cleaned or correctly re-assembled.

The first time I did a carb rebuild, I put the carb to engine boots on upside down, the choke return spring between the wrong 2 carb bodies and tried to start the engine without blocking off the vacuum pipe that goes to the petcock (why would you need to connect that when you can just put it on prime!!).

Hey - you do have to learn by making a few mistakes. Keep going you are nearly there! Good job.

Here is my: Rookie Carb Instal Mistake

Greetings
                        Richard
                        sigpic
                        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Running on the choke only is a classic symptom of plugged pilot jets/ pilot jet passages. Maybe when you dipped them, crud just got moved around in the carb bodies and has found a home in your pilot jet passages. With the pilot jet out you should be able to shoot contact cleaner in the jet hole and see a stream come out into the throat of the carb. No spray= passage plugged.

Comment

Are they synchronized?

Comment

I will pull them out tonight and look over them.

Comment

Working...
                              X