Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this Dynojet kit no longer available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this Dynojet kit no longer available?

Hi, I used to be a member here 10 years ago or so. I forgot my username and started a new account. I've had three GS's and loved them!

I am in the middle of a slow but sure total restore/mod of my 79' 750E. I am on the carb rebuild stage and due to my love of velocity stacks, I am determined to have them on this bike too (Had them on my 41mm Flatslides).

I have heard from experienced members here that to tune them, I really need a stage three dyne jet kit for my VM26's. I am not doing the velocity stacks expecting power. I am doing it for the look. I searched online but it seems that they only make them for the newer 750's?

Am I wrong? Could I use anything else to make the carb tune more efficient other than buy a used air box/factory filters to tune it on that, and then take everything apart against to tune it to the velocity stacks.

Thank you!

Another pods for looks guy! Anyways, welcome back to GS fiddling! I can't answer your question-I'm under the delusion that VM carbs don't need these dynojet kits, while the CV style carbs do, Since you've been missing, this guy Basscliff put together an info warehouse, have you seen this link?

Since you've had 3 suzukis already,you must have learned to cope with them!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

VM carbs DO need a dynojet kit if running pods and a pipe.they dont make them anymore for the 79 GS750 but use the kit for the 78 GS1000. same carbs so it will work but the mains might be too big, however you do need their needles.
      GS1000 kit is #DJS-3304
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        VM carbs DO need a dynojet kit if running pods and a pipe.they dont make them anymore for the 79 GS750 but use the kit for the 78 GS1000. same carbs so it will work but the mains might be too big, however you do need their needles.
        GS1000 kit is #DJS-3304
        Good info!
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Great advice!

Yeah, a pods for the looks guy, but hey-At least I'm honest about it!

My other bike (91' FZR 1000 with a lot of motor work done) had them out of need for power. So it's a wash right, lol.

It was a 150 rwhp monster. That's a lot for a 91'! I have the dyno sheet somewhere, but sadly the bike got totaled. I miss that beast

THat is a good idea about robbing the needles. Think that will be enough to get it running smooth?

Thanks guys. I am really glad to be back. Wish I remembered by damn old user name. The joys of getting old (I'm 35, cough, cough, hahaha)

Comment

Tom203-

I just saw your location. My aunt and uncle have a place on Sebago Lake! I used to spend the occasional summers there with the whole extended family. Great place. Crystal clear water. Fishing, going to what we called "blueberry island" to get wild blueberries for my uncle to use in our pancakes. Great memories there.

Thanks for the carb link too. Yeah, I have that. Without that write-up, I'd be up a creek w/o a paddle. I took tons of picture when taking them apart years ago, but the computer crashed and I lost everyone of them. That write-up is amazing!
            Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2014, 12:22 PM. Reason: added text

Comment

the needles are the magic ingredient in the DJ kit. they will make your life a whole lot easier than messing about with main jet sizes, pilot jets and moving the stock needles around, just to get it to run half decent.
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

The west side of lake hasn't changed much since 1950's when I first came up as child. Wild blueberries still plentiful and it's beautiful riding country with little traffic.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tom23-Good to hear! Thanks for the update!

Agemax-Thank you for the information! Makes me feel much better knowing that!

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenza V View Post
                    Great advice!

Yeah, a pods for the looks guy, but hey-At least I'm honest about it!

My other bike (91' FZR 1000 with a lot of motor work done) had them out of need for power. So it's a wash right, lol.

It was a 150 rwhp monster. That's a lot for a 91'! I have the dyno sheet somewhere, but sadly the bike got totaled. I miss that beast

THat is a good idea about robbing the needles. Think that will be enough to get it running smooth?

Thanks guys. I am really glad to be back. Wish I remembered by damn old user name. The joys of getting old (I'm 35, cough, cough, hahaha)
                    I like the looks of them too, but I may change over to them also to buy valuable storage space under the seat!
                    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                    80 gs1000s

Comment

I disagree

the needles are the magic ingredient in the DJ kit. they will make your life a whole lot easier than messing about with main jet sizes, pilot jets and moving the stock needles around, just to get it to run half decent.

For CV carbs I agree about the needle.

Pre emissions mechanical slide carbs are tune-able for any situation. FACT.

Sadly everyone thinks of themselves as a motorcycle mechanic but can't tune themselves out of a paper bag. How many times have we heard a guy can't get the carbs to run right and the ignition points are the real problem.
                      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post

Sadly everyone thinks of themselves as a motorcycle mechanic but can't tune themselves out of a paper bag. How many times have we heard a guy can't get the carbs to run right and the ignition points are the real problem.
                        +1, never had a problem tuning a VM carb to run well. More work than buying a kit, though.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i'm just saying that a DJ kit takes a LOT of the hassle and guesswork out of tuning the VM carbs. yes they can be done with a lot of trial,error and patience but the DJ kit puts you in the ballpark straight away.......
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

no such thing as plug and play.

i'm just saying that a DJ kit takes a LOT of the hassle and guesswork out of tuning the VM carbs. yes they can be done with a lot of trial,error and patience but the DJ kit puts you in the ballpark straight away.......

NOPE you are very mistaken -- getting mechanical slide carbs to work properly takes a higher level of talent, experience, and patience. Along with analytical approach to problem solving. kit or no kit -- genuine mikuni parts makes a difference also.

Do you know every needle adjustment forces you to re-synchronize mechanical carbs? most do not know that secret.

mechanical carbs can be sync'd at 10 cm/hg or 20cm/hg one works one don't. Oh it will idle but will not ride out properly because not all sets have a base carb to copy from.

I have 30 years of mechanical carburetor tuning - and make my living at it. some guys get lucky when they do their own carbs-- some don't

I am snowed in and trying to give accurate advice without throwing bad attitude around.
                            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

NOPE you are very mistaken -- getting mechanical slide carbs to work properly takes a higher level of talent, experience, and patience. Along with analytical approach to problem solving. kit or no kit -- genuine mikuni parts makes a difference also.

Do you know every needle adjustment forces you to re-synchronize mechanical carbs? most do not know that secret.

mechanical carbs can be sync'd at 10 cm/hg or 20cm/hg one works one don't. Oh it will idle but will not ride out properly because not all sets have a base carb to copy from.

I have 30 years of mechanical carburetor tuning - and make my living at it. some guys get lucky when they do their own carbs-- some don't

I am snowed in and trying to give accurate advice without throwing bad attitude around.
                              sorry, i didnt realise you are POPS YOSHIMURA'S prodigy.
                              i too have been working on and tuning carbs for 30 odd years now, maybe i know more than you think i do!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X