fuel leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel leak

Hi hope you can help I've put cone filters on my 81 gs550 gone to fire it up and I've got fuel running out of 2nd air filter in from left hand side,,,,,, can anyone help?

Check your petcock. It could be fuel from a failed petcock diaphragm running backwards down the vacuum line to #2. It could also be a bad needle valve or stuck float in #2 carburetor.

Easy stuff.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You have either a leaking petcock vacuum diaphragm and or a leaking float valve.

Have you re-jetted the carbs for the pod air filters? Have you COMPLETELY re-built the carbs?

If you've answered no to either of the above then re-jet the carbs and rebuild them.

Here's a site that will help you with a ton of information:

Here's a link on that site to the carb rebuild tutorial:
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Agh!!! You beat me to it.

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I've put a different tank on , I'm cafe racing it , the petcock only has 1 line from it so I've blocked the vacuum tube up , is that ok?
          I've not had the carbs off or cleaned them yet ,
          I'm doing a dry run with bike, getting it looking right I've just done wiring and fitted cone filters so thought I would give it a fire up and noticed fuel running out of cone filter
          This is my first build ,so I need all the help I can get !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by moxy View Post
            I've put a different tank on , I'm cafe racing it , the petcock only has 1 line from it so I've blocked the vacuum tube up , is that ok?
            I'm doing a dry run with bike, getting it looking right I've just done wiring and fitted cone filters so thought I would give it a fire up and noticed fuel running out of cone filter
            Give the float bowl of the leaking carb a good whack with a screwdriver handle or something while it's leaking, it may unstick a stuck float. Sometimes the float hangs up on the gasket or something in there.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If you've put on pod filters and not re-jetted the carbs then it will run like crap.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by moxy View Post
                If you have blocked the vacuum line, and your petcock is good, it wont run at all. The petcock needs vacuum for fuel to flow unless it is in the Prime position.
                sigpic
                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                1983 GS1100e
                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                1980 GS1260
                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                  If you have blocked the vacuum line, and your petcock is good, it wont run at all. The petcock needs vacuum for fuel to flow unless it is in the Prime position.
                  He's not using the stock vacuum operated petcock.

The problem is a stuck or leaking float valve on the #2 carb.

Completely dip and clean all the carbs and re-jet for the pods and pipes if you have them.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The floats on mine stuck over and over causing it leak like crazy. Tapping it worked sometimes for me but the best thing to do is take it apart and clean or replace everything. If that isnt your forte... I suggest a company called oldskoolcarbs. The guy does amazing work. I struggled with my carbs for a while and finally just sent them to him. He has pics of mine on his site or you can follow my profile to some pics I posted here.

As the others have said.. they will need to be rejetted to account for any mods you have done. Pods are a big pain to tune for but it can be done. Oldskool can rejet the carbs for you but you will need to tell him what jets you want. You will need to determine that by researching what sizes are appropriate for your mods. Even then you will need to make some adjustments like moving the slide clip or adjusting the air screws.

Comment

Working...
                    X