'83 GS850 GL Air Box Hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS850 GL Air Box Hoses

Taking apart the 850 to get her ready for summer and found this after noting while removing carbs that the airbox connector hoses all were loose and not really sealed well...

I found I can buy these from Z1 Enterprises -- http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...=13881-49070X4

Is this as easy as popping out the old ones and popping in the new ones...? It would be better to replace them I think...

Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

That's an easy swap. Take note of the orientation of the parts coming out. Figuring out which way they go back in is a common question. The new ones should squash easily into a sort of semicircular shape for insertion into the holes. Get the lip of the box started into the groove in the rubber before you let it expand to a round shape again.

I see you have the metal bands which help keep the rubber expanded and sealed against the box. Some people struggle with these and omit them. I don't recommend that, since they prolong the useful life of the rubber by helping to prevent shrinkage. They're not difficult if you know the trick. To remove, grab the loose end with needle-nose pliers. Pull it in a tangential direction that would tend to turn in in the rubber. This will break it loose if stuck, and then you can pretty much just pull it out. Try not to permanently deform it. replacements are cheap, so you may just want to order some. To install, grab one end with the needle-nose again, and start the other end into the rubber with the other hand. If you imagine the end of the ring gripped by the pliers as an arrow, pull it in that direction with the pliers. This will tend to collapse the ring as it overlaps itself, allowing you to work it into place in the rubber. I suppose you could also collapse the ring in one hand, then clamp it with needle-nose vise-grips, install and release. I can't remember why I didn't do it that way.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Carl, Go ahead and get those boots. We can have Dale come up and show us how "easy" it is to install the blasted metal bands when you get here.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

More ....

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Carl, Go ahead and get those boots. We can have Dale come up and show us how "easy" it is to install the blasted metal bands when you get here.

Already on order....
        I will give it a try -- but getting them back on before I come to visit is not a requirement so they may wait too...

Here's a little something else I found when reviewing the pictures today....notice the missing fastener on the end of the starter cover...? They previous owner(s) have been in this bike as evidenced by this and the already revealed idle mixture adjustment screws...While it DID run..it wasn't great..but it will be again...

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

I agree with Steve and will want to watch Dale take them out without twisting them 7 ways from Sunday. I also left mine out because of it.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            I agree with Steve and will want to watch Dale take them out without twisting them 7 ways from Sunday. I also left mine out because of it.
            Oh, I can get them out OK, I want to see him put them IN.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

seriously asking

If they are that difficult to put in....
              how important are they ...?
              That is ...do we NEED them ..?
              I will try but wouldn't want to wreck the new ones in doing so .

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

I don't have any in mine and don't think they have made any difference to operations but I'm not as smart about them as other folks.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yes, you need the metal spring bands. Otherwise, enjoy your air leaks when the rubber starts to shrink in a few years.

No, they're not that hard to put in. At least, it's never taken me more than a few minutes. I don't remember if there's a "trick" to it -- I just put them in and go on to the next task. You do have to lubricate the rubber -- a bit of oil is all it takes.

The missing bolt on the starter cover is no big deal. You just need a short 5mm bolt. 10mm long, I think.

You need to rebuild that nasty leaking cam chain tensioner. Instructions:

The engine-carb boots look suspect, and those screws may or may not have been replaced (who the hell in their right mind would re-install phillips screws?). If these boots are still flexible, I would replace the o-rings and screws at minimum. And you ARE checking the valve clearances while you're in there, right?
                  Last edited by bwringer; 02-04-2014, 08:37 AM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Steve, I'd make a video showing how easy it is, but neither of my bikes are supposed to have them. I even tried to make some last spring when I realized mine had shrunk, but I didn't have anything resembling a suitable material.

If you'd like to make a video, I could drive up and install a set on Angel for you.
                    Dogma
                    --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Addressing specific comments -

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

You need to rebuild that nasty leaking cam chain tensioner. Instructions:

The engine-carb boots look suspect, and those screws may or may not have been replaced (who the hell in their right mind would re-install phillips screws?). If these boots are still flexible, I would replace the o-rings and screws at minimum. And you ARE checking the valve clearances while you're in there, right?
                      Leaking Cam chain tensioner -- Yes - There are plans for a complete tear down and re-gasket on the engine in the near future to include that an d a few other leaking seals that make me cranky. This bike is new-to-me and it will soon be a very reliable daily rider for my commuting to the various jobs I hold.

Engine-carb boots are actually in pretty good shape. Soft and pliable and in proper form. I have seen worse that worked fine and there are no plans to replace these; however I DO have the O-rings and proper socket head fasteners to change these out.

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

More addressing specific comments

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                        Steve, I'd make a video showing how easy it is, but neither of my bikes are supposed to have them. I even tried to make some last spring when I realized mine had shrunk, but I didn't have anything resembling a suitable material.

If you'd like to make a video, I could drive up and install a set on Angel for you.
                        You may get your chance....
                        - Steve has agreed to help me with the re-birth of this old classic (and I am grateful).

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

It's not in Wisconsin?
                          Dogma
                          --

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            It's not in Wisconsin?
                            No need to make any videos, just make a personal apperance.

Carl will be at my place, with his bike, Thursday, March 6, until Sunday, March 9.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

I may be able to run up there Thursday evening. Friday through Sunday, I'm on the road.
                              Dogma
                              --

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                              X