1982 GS650G Simple Fuel Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650G Simple Fuel Petcock

Could anyone recommend a simple petcock that will fit a 1982 GS650G standard fuel tank. Off, res and main settings only (emphasis on the off setting) And none of the vacuum pipe necessities.

Cheers!

Ollie.

Many here enjoy what Pingle has to offer. Not sure where to shop for one, I have never been interested in them.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have against the vacuum shut-off feature?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Stick with vacuum petcock -a new one will outlast the bike.about $50. and you won't have to remember to turn it off or on.

Z1 sells two models - one goes into reserve earlier

I got this one from georgefix ( hits reserve later which is what I wanted)

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

looks good, think ill get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Many here enjoy what Pingle has to offer. Not sure where to shop for one, I have never been interested in them.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have against the vacuum shut-off feature?

Steve, just prefer having a reliable off setting which isn't spring loaded.

Comment

The vacuum ones are extremely reliable on these bikes. Most are still going strong after thirty plus years, unless they have been parked for years.

Still, if I could find a mechanical one that fit I'd get it, at least for some of the bikes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just a question on fitting a petcock. What do you guys use on the bolts so they don't leak? I guess I'll buy a new gasket to prevent leaks there, but not sure about the bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by samboss260 View Post
                Just a question on fitting a petcock. What do you guys use on the bolts so they don't leak? I guess I'll buy a new gasket to prevent leaks there, but not sure about the bolt.
                There are special washers for those bolts that keep them from leaking and can be bought from any Suzuki supplier for fairly cheap. What bike are you referring to? (put your bike info in your signature block).
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  There are special washers for those bolts that keep them from leaking and can be bought from any Suzuki supplier for fairly cheap. What bike are you referring to? (put your bike info in your signature block).
                  I was getting a little leak around one of the bolts so I pulled it off and realized that one of the little gaskets was missing. The gasket on the other bolt wasn't in very good shape either so I measured the bolts and used my Harbor Freight hollow punches to make new ones out of gasket material.

If it ever starts to leak again I will put some stock gaskets on my next dealer order but for right now it's holding up great.

Comment

There are little sealing washers, like a steel washer with an o ring built in, they work well.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      There are little sealing washers, like a steel washer with an o ring built in, they work well.
                      Yep, I got a pair at ACE for 33 cents each- 1/4 inch size works nicely
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks guys. Will add them to my next order.

Oh, and the bike is a 1981 Gs650g Katana.

Comment

Working...
                        X