4 into 2 pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 into 2 pipes

Anyone ever run a aftermarket 4 into 2 pipe on 850?

I have a Mac system which is not the best (didn't care for muffler sound) but does make it possible to replace mufflers easily with something better sounding, which I did. Not a lot of systems available for our 850s.

Comment

what is the diameter of the header pipe where the muffler would attach?
      I have thought of same idea, but it is rather spendy to order up and see if what you had in mind fits or not

Comment

i'm in the same boat. i'm looking to replace the mufflers on my 82 GS850G.

i like the sound of these:

maybe something slightly quieter.

there is no 850 option on dime city's site:

looks like i'll just have to measure as well.

Comment

unless of course, mufflers for GS1000s or GS750s would fit. not sure on that.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
            unless of course, mufflers for GS1000s or GS750s would fit. not sure on that.
            "Mufflers" are not the entire issue.

Most of our four-cylinder bikes have one pipe on each side that is continuous along the entire length from the engine all the way to the back. While the 1000G and the 850G do share the same frame, there are some subtle details in the exhaust systems. For example, the header flange bolts on the 1000 are just a bit farther apart than those on the 850. If you were to try to install a set of 1000G pipes on an 850G, you would have to slot the mounting holes inward (assuming there is enough room). After that, all the mounting points should line up.

The 8-valve 750s and the '79 850 had the same cylinder head, so the header bolts will line up, but I don't know if the rest of the mounts would work.

I have no experience with the chain-driven 1000's exhaust to be able to say whether the mounting points are similar.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

50.5 mm OD, can't get ID since have muffler on, terrylee

Comment

JC Whitney carries a generic Dunstall replica muffler that should make a good replacement for the standard pipes as long as your header is OK.

I think AZR had some on his 79 850, check with him
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

4-2

I bought a set of 4-2 from a company in Brisbane called Tranzac . Fitted well no complaints. 1978 GS750.
                  Come to Tranzac Exhausts and see our range of new and used motorbikes and scooters and motorcycle accessories in Carbrook, or book in for a quality service by our expert mechanics.
                  Last edited by gssteve; 02-08-2014, 06:40 PM. Reason: Pic
                  79 GS 750 E

Comment

4-2

One more pic they are the same for gs850.
                    Last edited by gssteve; 02-08-2014, 06:49 PM. Reason: Pic
                    79 GS 750 E

Comment

understood. if my headers are ok, which i'm almost positive they are, i'd like to shorten the overall length of the muffler portion with an aftermarket muffler. i don't even know if i'm making sense. maybe incorrect terminology?

something like this:

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      "Mufflers" are not the entire issue.

Most of our four-cylinder bikes have one pipe on each side that is continuous along the entire length from the engine all the way to the back. While the 1000G and the 850G do share the same frame, there are some subtle details in the exhaust systems. For example, the header flange bolts on the 1000 are just a bit farther apart than those on the 850. If you were to try to install a set of 1000G pipes on an 850G, you would have to slot the mounting holes inward (assuming there is enough room). After that, all the mounting points should line up.

The 8-valve 750s and the '79 850 had the same cylinder head, so the header bolts will line up, but I don't know if the rest of the mounts would work.

I have no experience with the chain-driven 1000's exhaust to be able to say whether the mounting points are similar.

Comment

i like the sound of this. did this guy just take off everything past the headers?

its a chopper...kinda.$14 in modifications, bet ya cant tell!Bike was in extremely rough condition when i got it for cheap. I just needed something to ride

Comment

Not really aftermarket but I just welded up some 4 into 2's. Its actually a pair of 2 into 1's, but I think that's what you mean. I like the sound. What I did was use the stock headers and cut/angle/weld new pipe to some mufflers. Didn't have any clamps on hand so I welded the mufflers to the pipe as well. They are one piece from the header back and fit around the kick stand. Easy to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by gssteve View Post
                            I bought a set of 4-2 from a company in Brisbane called Tranzac . Fitted well no complaints. 1978 GS750.
                            http://www.tranzac.com.au
                            They look great! Mines got a 4-1 and I don't know who made it but it's a little too loud for my taste. I'd love to have a set of 4-2 like yours or a stock set in decent shape.

Comment

Hi Steve. I also bought a 4 into two exhaust from Tranzac for my GS1000G. They look great, very similar to the original. Since the system was fitted I've had a few small issues. The bike shop at Hornsby who fitted the pipes (and did a great original paint job) had a lot of problems tunning the carbs, trying to get rid of a slight hesitation at around 2500 revs . They spent many ours on it, without charging me, but now when I'm accelerating at low speed (eg. roundabouts or intersections) there is a sudden surge. Occasionally I also get a bit of a splutter when accelerating hard.
                              Have you had any tuning issues ? Did you make any changes to the Carbs/jetting ? Mine is still original,
                              Norm

Comment

Working...
                              X