No announcement yet.

Running Rich and Stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you also have a fuel smell to your oil? If so float height may be of concern. Or you fuel petcock , but that generally only effects the cylinder with the vacuum line. Also you say it is a 1980 , so it has CV carbs correct?
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post

You have an advantage that we don't, you can see the bike...
      To me that would be a disadvantage.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm going to measure the wet fuel levels. Where can I get the part that screws into the bottom of the float bowl for this test?
        Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2014, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ndbaker View Post
          I'm going to measure the wet fuel levels. Where can I get the part that screws into the bottom of the float bowl for this test?
          Make them. Any good hardware store has the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Make them. Any good hardware store has the parts.
            Well I'll be using clear tubes from the big orange box store, however I'm guessing I need some part to screw into the bottom of float bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by ndbaker View Post
              Well I'll be using clear tubes from the big orange box store, however I'm guessing I need some part to screw into the bottom of float bowl.
              I drilled a hole in four screws, stuck brass tubes in the holes, soldered them up.
              You could use epoxy or JB if you don't have soldering stuff.

Cost about a buck and took maybe an hour to make all four. I had some medical oxygen hose sitting around, that worked fine. Someone sells them, but it was priced crazy high for such a simple thing, and waiting a week didn't appeal to me either.

Comment

Didn't you say that everything was stock set up on the carbs - except the pipe?
                What is different about the pipe is it more baffled or less baffled etc?

Comment

Originally posted by mrbridgeport View Post
                  Didn't you say that everything was stock set up on the carbs - except the pipe?
                  What is different about the pipe is it more baffled or less baffled etc?
                  Less baffled and without crossover between 1/2 & 3/4. Was running just as rich with stock. I would have thought the new exhaust would have helped lean it.

Comment

I'm having a hell of a time finding that part to screw into the bottom of the float bowl for wet fuel level measurement. I don't have a drill press or welder to make my own.

Any fellow GS'er willing to lend me their set?

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                      Do you also have a fuel smell to your oil? If so float height may be of concern. Or you fuel petcock , but that generally only effects the cylinder with the vacuum line. Also you say it is a 1980 , so it has CV carbs correct?
                      You still have not answered this post. Have you determined that the petcock is good? Is there fuel in your oil. Is your oil level high because of fuel?
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I have seen cases where the needles and needle jets were worn causing all kinds of fuel metering problems. That needle has now spent 30 years going up and down inside that needle jet.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                          You still have not answered this post. Have you determined that the petcock is good? Is there fuel in your oil. Is your oil level high because of fuel?

Well the carbs are original cv. Ive yet to see check the oil, but I believe the petcock is good because #2 spark is generally the least sotty. Im actually slowly burning oil and every few hundred miles must top it off.

Comment

My homework so far is to recheck that chocks fully seat, check for fuel in the oil, and wet fuel level measurement. I have not ignored the advice here, just have yet to do. Kinda hard to do in my detached garage when its been in the teens for highs.

Comment

Working...
                            X