Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 Mikuni BS32SS Throttle Shaft Removal

Hi,
    My 1983 GS750ES has leaky throttle shaft seals. I have the carbs on the bench and removed the butterfly valve from one. This is carb one with the cap on the outside. It appears I have to knock this cap off and then drive the split pin out of the linkage on the other side. At this point I slide the shaft out on the side where the cap was and can install new seals.

Is this correct?

THANKS!!!

Strange-no replies! someone on here must have done this or at least knows how.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It would seem that all anyone does here is soak the carbs and replace all but the shaft seals.
      Yup.

Comment

I've driven out the pin before and removed the linkage, but have never pulled out the shaft. The caps and seal are still available, so give it a go and good luck.

The butterfly screws are staked in place so make sure you file off any burrs on the shaft before attempting to pull the shaft out, otherwise you will scratch up the bushings in the carb body. Also, you should use some red loctite on the screws when you put the carbs back together. Install the butterflys into the shaft and loosely tighten the screws, then exercise the shaft to center the butterfly properly before tightening up the screws.

Good luck
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Shaft Removal

I knew I had seen this but took a few to find it since it was listed under Yamaha FJ600
          Mikuni carburetors are used on a wide variety of motorcycles. These particular carburetors are common to the 1984 to 1992 Yamaha FJ, FZ, XJ and YX 600 Air C...

Title is "Mikuni Carburetors - Disassembly, Cleaning, and Maintenance - 1985 Yamaha FJ600 - Part 3" but watch all 3 if you have time. These guys take it down to the core.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2014, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Butterfly Capers

This was my performance:

The restoration project for my dad's 1984 Suzuki GS1100 G.The bike was shipped to the UK and is now in Canterbury for restoration - August 2012.

It is well worth going the extra mile if you are stripping the carbs. There is no way for sure of telling if the throttle shaft seals are perished or leaking but it does give peace of mind. It's s job well done if you do it!

Greetings
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Its pretty straight forward. Just make sure you label all the parts you take out so they don't get mixed up. Just take your time and you will be fine. To restake the screws i used a small pair of needle nosed vice grips and reach down the engine side carb throat and just crimp the screws with the vice grips a few times until i could see the threads start to smash down.

Comment

Where have you found replacements for the throttle shaft seal ???
                I also have an air leak that I want to solve on a 1979 GS400L equipped with 2 BS34SS.
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X