No announcement yet.

GS1150ES Dies When Throttle Opened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it won't idle without choke then I'd put money on the intermediate jets being clogged. Sometimes a dipping won't cure them. I've had success using a single strand of copper wire from a 10 gauge roll and thorough use of brake cleaner.

Comment

Teamdar - this is contrary to everything I have seen on these forum before and the manuals or are you describing it incorrectly?

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Katarat - you are right. This is the first proper run of this engine in what must be years (I have only just acquired this bike). I am sure I have a long way to go with tuning it correctly. Valves, mixture and sych all to be done. Those carbs are spotless inside and have new main and idle jets.

I will get there in the end.

Greetings
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
          Teamdar - this is contrary to everything I have seen on these forum before and the manuals or are you describing it incorrectly?

Greetings
          Richard, I stand corrected. In your photo it shows that you are doing it correct. I have a factory Suzuki 1150 manual that shows the calipers at the step in the float above the one that your photo shows. I have never seen the tang having to be bent to the extreme that you had to.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
            I have never seen the tang having to be bent to the extreme that you had to.
            i cant help thinking there is something fishy here as well. 2mm is a LOT of adjustment to make. Look at the angle of the float in Richards earlier pic, compared to the angle of the float in the manual pic.
            Richards float seems to be at a much steeper angle to obtain the correct setting.
            wrong floats or wrong needle valve assembly fitted maybe?
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              i cant help thinking there is something fishy here as well. 2mm is a LOT of adjustment to make. Look at the angle of the float in Richards earlier pic, compared to the angle of the float in the manual pic.
              Richards float seems to be at a much steeper angle to obtain the correct setting.
              wrong floats or wrong needle valve assembly fitted maybe?
              Plus one. Those float tabs seem a heck of a lot more bent than on any carb I've ever seen.

I'm guessing wrong needle valves.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Check the height on both sides to make sure the float is not bent.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

EDIT: video seems to indicate the bike running on three cylinders, not four.

Float height for the 1150 is supposed to be 1mm lower than for the other BS carb bikes - 21.4mm.

If the weight of the float is compressing the float needle spring, I'd replace the needles.

Measuring fuel level is the proper way to assure the floats are set right. You can measure the floats all day long, but it's the fuel level that's critical, not float height.
                  Last edited by Nessism; 04-13-2014, 10:48 AM.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Richard, if you are measuring as per the photo you posted it looks like you are measuring on the wrong spot, according to the manual photo it shows the measure point as being the flat top of the step (because its upside down) part of the float. (The float needs to displace some fluid before floating) That tang is at an extreme angle, are you able to compare your needle with an oem part?

I had some of this on that little green T125 stinger in my conservatory with a non oem carb kits I bought, the needle was a different length to the original.
                    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Teamdar - well you could indeed be right. That photo was from a GS850/GS1100 manual I think. The GS1150 (or GSX1100 as it was called in the UK) may well have a different set up. I would be interested to see that.

Greetings
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

Tatu - you could well be right (you usually are EDIT: always are). It did seem odd having to bend those tangs so far. I need to take a better look at the needles themselves.

But the carbs are back on again. Managed to take the bike up the road and back. Still lots of work to do on it.

Went on the Easter Egg run to Whitstable today on the GS1100 with over 300 bikes. It was 20 deg C and a fun day. We drove past your place too.

Greetings
                        Last edited by londonboards; 04-13-2014, 04:46 PM.
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

Nessism - spot on. I am going to set up a float bowl drain plug tube and do it for real next time the carbs come off.

Greetings
                          Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

Carbs - Redone - Now Major Oil Leak

I replaced the needle valves in the carbs and this gave far better position for the float tangs.

Now the float tangs are more horizontal:

When they used to look like this:

Both of these tang positions resulted in the same float heights but I am guessing that now the bowls will fill much more with these new needle valves.

(There caliper was level with the rounded part or shoulder of the black plastic float but the camera angle doesn't show this).

So does it all work? I put them back on the bike and this happens:

Greetings
                            Richard
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                              Nessism - spot on. I am going to set up a float bowl drain plug tube and do it for real next time the carbs come off.

Greetings
                              No, the better test is to do it while the engine is running, at idle with the choke off.

All four carbs at the same time is best, so you can compare how they all move.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X