No announcement yet.

GS1150ES Dies When Throttle Opened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that the pilot screw at the bottom of you photo? If so the tip is all smashed flat and not usable.

Comment

TeamDar - Nah that's and old soldering iron bit. Thanks for looking anyway.

Greetings
      Last edited by londonboards; 04-06-2014, 04:25 PM.
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Nessism - yes; I re-installed stock jet sizes as this bike was jetted for K&Ns.

Greetings
        Last edited by londonboards; 04-06-2014, 04:26 PM.
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

If your slides are stuck or you have a broken diaphragm it will do this.

Comment

Maddevill - slides stuck? Never thought of that. Can't remember checking them though. All diaphragms were good. I'll take the top off one of the carbs and see if it moves.

Greetings
            Richard
            sigpic

Comment

Sounds like the idle circuit is not carrying it onto the intermediate circuit (needle).
              Or your intermediate circuit is too rich or lean and giving you a rich cut or lean cut as it comes in.
              Try going richer on your idle, to carry it further up the range and allow the needle to take over.
              If no joy, try moving he needle up and down a slot and see what happens.

Comment

Flyboy - thanks for that but my needles do not have different clip positions. I think the only way I can change the position of the needles is to shave some material off that plastic washer on the top of it. But it is all stock now - at least I think those needles are?

Greetings
                Richard
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                  Maddevill - slides stuck? Never thought of that. Can't remember checking them though. All diaphragms were good. I'll take the top off one of the carbs and see if it moves.

Greetings
                  I had the same problem on my G when I got it, but never identified it fully as I already had a set of clean carbs to throw on instead

I 'm with Madevil.... something's not clean,, did you use compressed air after the U/S cleaning?

make sure those slides are silky smooth

Comment

Checked Slides, Airbox and Fuel Bowl Level

OK so I am no nearer to guessing what is causing this to happen.

Airbox is secured. Slides glide up and down (I took the tops off to check) and I jammed a plastic hose in the float bowl drain and saw the fuel level rise to near the top of the float bowl. So there is enough fuel to cover the main jet. Why won't fuel get sucked up into the main jet when the throttle is opened?

I am guessing this is not electrical as it is possible to rev the engine when cold using only the choke. It will go up to 5K like that so I know the spark is there at that speed.

Help.
                    Richard
                    sigpic

Comment

have you checked valve clearances and engine compression?
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

It will rev to 5K under choke and when it is warm it idles nicely. Would it do this with bag compression or badly adjusted valves? Just absolutely zero take up when throttle opened even a small amount.

No I haven't. I will do valves next. Don't have a compression tester. Might be able to borrow from Tatu.

Greetings
                        Last edited by londonboards; 04-08-2014, 05:47 PM.
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

you are running out of options with the carbs so you need to explore other possibilities.
                          have you put vacuum gauges on it yet?
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Need to borrow some of those as well!!
                            Richard
                            sigpic

Comment

was the bike running ok when you first got it?
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

It will rev to 5K under choke and when it is warm if idles nicely.
                                That, right there tells you it is a lean cut problem, increase those idle jets and lift the needle if you can.

Comment

Working...
                                X