No announcement yet.

GS1150ES Dies When Throttle Opened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flyboy - so it would cut completely? I have re-jetted back to standard and have a complete and secure airbox. I don't have clip positions on my needles (perhaps I have the wrong needles) so I can only adjust by sanding the plastic disk.

But surely as it is near original spec I should get some throttle response? I agree that fine tuning might require some adjustment. I think I will try another set of carbs?

Greetings
    Last edited by londonboards; 04-08-2014, 04:17 PM.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Agemax - It is was a non runner. I did the carbs and now have it running on idle only.

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

you reverted back to standard airbox but you still got that 4 into 1 on it. stick the bigger pilot jets back in....... you may still need to up the mains a bit.
        try refitting both the mains and pilots back in and see how it runs then
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Agemax - I think I have an attitude to my problem!! I just don't want to believe you would get nothing, zippo, nil throttle response just because main jet is a size or 2 out. Flat spots - yes. Nothing - no.

I'm just a beginner - what do I know? Those carbs are coming off again this weekend.

Greetings
          Richard
          sigpic

Comment

Pull out a jet needle and give us the number.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If the bowels are full of gas are the bowels vented or for some reason did to block the vents?

Even when you idle it up it doesn't sound right and the stall is saying it is not sucking any gas.if you mist gas into the input with throttle slightly open it should rev to confirm it is carburation and not something else.
              Last edited by posplayr; 04-08-2014, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                Agemax - I think I have an attitude to my problem!! I just don't want to believe you would get nothing, zippo, nil throttle response just because main jet is a size or 2 out. Flat spots - yes. Nothing - no.

I'm just a beginner - what do I know? Those carbs are coming off again this weekend.

Greetings
                the larger pilot jets will have a much bigger effect at very low throttle openings. maybe required to suit that 4into1 you have fitted.
                i said "try" the mains as well just to see if it makes a difference!
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

You shouldn't need larger pilot jets if the only change is the pipe. The bike may need larger main jets though.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Works Really Well When Needles Assembled Correctly!!

See My GS1150 Blog for bigger pics.

I took the carbs off to see what the blazes was going on:

All the bowls had a decent amount of fuel in them:

Even though little tangs bent quite a bit:

There were still within spec:

Could the needles be a problem? They are quite low in the emulsion tubes:

I took the needles out and compared them to another set of carbs I have. This is what I found:

All four needles had been assembled with the spring on top rather than under the circlip. I am putting my hand up as being responsible!! I had never taken needles out before this rebuild and they sprung apart on me so I was not able to see the order of the parts. Should have checked the workshop manual. Or had the PO assembled them like that? He just might have ......

Here is proof that the problem is solved:

Greetings
                    Last edited by londonboards; 06-19-2014, 06:56 AM.
                    Richard
                    sigpic

Comment

Beautiful looking (and sounding) bike, mate.

Now throw a seat on her, throw a leg over her, and show us what we want to see: movement. 0 to 100 (160, I forgot you're 'down under').
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Rob S - yup that's the next thing to do. I have to sort out a chain first. This bike came with one that was completely rusted up.

I'm from "across the pond" not "down under"

Greetings
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

She lives bet your well chuffed good man.

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                            Rob S - yup that's the next thing to do. I have to sort out a chain first. This bike came with one that was completely rusted up.

I'm from "across the pond" not "down under"

Greetings
                            I'm not fond of shafts, to put it mildly (lots of shaft riders around here).

The U.K.?

We "colonists" are doing fine, and we love the Queen!

PS Thanks for the Beatles. And the Stones. And...
                            Last edited by Rob S.; 04-13-2014, 10:56 AM.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

When checking the float height the calipers should be on the part of the float where the metal arm is attached. You are checking on the wrong spot. That would explain why you have to bend the tang so much.

Comment

Sounds good, are you watching a different video then I am ? It sounds like one of the pilot jets or passages is clogged up, its only running on 3 holes

Comment

Working...
                                X