No announcement yet.

fuel leaking from carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What parts are missing? Honestly, I've looked at the exploded views of the petcock online and mine looks like the drawing. There is no lever, and if there were, where would in set without covering the "pri" and "fuel".

Also, what would cause fuel to leak out of the throat of all four carbs at the same time? The gas comes out and soaks the air filter and then drips out of the air box. This happened the first time I tried to start the bike after it sat for 5 months during the winter. I did put Stable in the fuel tank, but never ran the engine to get it into the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Handall View Post
      What parts are missing? Honestly, I've looked at the exploded views of the petcock online and mine looks like the drawing. There is no lever, and if there were, where would in set without covering the "pri" and "fuel".

Also, what would cause fuel to leak out of the throat of all four carbs at the same time? The gas comes out and soaks the air filter and then drips out of the air box. This happened the first time I tried to start the bike after it sat for 5 months during the winter. I did put Stable in the fuel tank, but never ran the engine to get it into the carbs.
      Nothing is missing from your petcock, some of these old GS'es had lever-less petcocks and some of these old geezers and young bucks don't know or realize this.

I'm not positive (never owned a lever-less) but I'd reckon with the slot horizontal it's in the ON position and vertical it's on Prime. The lever-less only has the two positions, you can test the positions and the petcock by pulling the fuel line and applying and releasing vacuum (on the vacuum line). The prime position needs vacuum to start flowing but will continue to flow after you take away the vacuum. The ON position as you'd expect would stop after vacuum goes away.

As for your carbs overflowing into the throats, check both your petcocks and your float needles. The petcock may be on all the time and your float needles and floats may be hung up, not seating, or not floating.

Comment

Ahhh! So that's the petcock on the 80 "T" model. I was looking at the "X" model drawing which does have the handle. Just assumed that the handle was clipped on like some others and fell off. That's a real stupid petcock arraignment. With no reserve? What if you run out of gas and you need to re prime the bike. You need a tool to do it?
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
        X