sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Give the poor dude a break here...

What they are trying to tell you is that your inexperience has lead you to take some shortcuts that are yielding poor results.

Investigate the carb tutorials found on basscliff's site and you may see where you went wrong (and some have hinted at it thus far).

The good/bad news here is you will gain more experience -- when you do the carbs again.

experience has taught many here (including many of the posters to this thread) that there are steps to take and that none may be skipped to avoid the dreaded re-rebuild.

Good Luck
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

After looking over the tutorials, I think I need to go back through the bench sync.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
        1980 GS550L

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

What they are trying to tell you is that your inexperience has lead you to take some shortcuts that are yielding poor results.

Investigate the carb tutorials found on basscliff's site and you may see where you went wrong (and some have hinted at it thus far).

The good/bad news here is you will gain more experience -- when you do the carbs again.

experience has taught many here (including many of the posters to this thread) that there are steps to take and that none may be skipped to avoid the dreaded re-rebuild.

Good Luck

Good on you!
          I know I have been there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

Good Luck
            Not trying to be hard on the guy. Sometimes you need to creep up to something in order for the person to think about it. If I had just said "You need to bench sync your carbs again" the likely response would have been "I already have". Pointing out that the #3 carb is adjusted differently, and given his current issues with the main throttle adjustment, made him think about it and go back to the tutorial to correct his own mistakes.

It's a little like proof reading your own material... You keep reading it and seeing it exactly like you thought it was supposed to be while in reality it's wrong and you don't see it.

Yes, we all make mistakes. Lord knows that I sure have.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The GSresource forum is the BEST !

I wasn't really being critical...
              I just wanted to let the original poster know that the folks here ARE trying to help.
              But the hardest thing is when one doesn't know what he doesn't know...
              I have been there - I learned by doing as well, and often RE-doing as the first try yielded poor results. I had the carbs on and off the GS650 last year 4 times..! And if you have ever done a 650 you know what a giant PIA that is on that bike.
              YES - the answers are there for him to find...but sometimes a direct answer is just as good as the subtle hints..

At least that is how it works best for me...
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I took the carbs off today.

Bench synced them according to this link: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ync_notes.html

Had to tweak the throttle stop screw but it started and idled. Now on to the vacuum sync.
                1980 GS550L

Comment

Working...
                X