78 gs1000 E mikuni carbs vm26ss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs1000 E mikuni carbs vm26ss

Are these vm 26 ss ccarbs any good ? My gs 650 gl has vm 32 carbs .. I dont know isnt bigger better ? Whats the difference between the 2 carbs ?

And whats with these double throttle cables ? 1 cable for throttle on 1 cable for throttle off .... trying to wrap my head around this as im use to workng on mycarbs on my 83 gs 650 things re a wee bit different on this 78 gs 1000

The stock VM26mm carbs are great. They are more adjustable than the CV carbs but they don't handle large elevation changes as well. Personally I like the 'retro' look more as well. The two cables are just what you think, one to pull open the other to pull back. The pull back cable doesn't really do much as the return spring on the carb is so thick and stiff it will pull anything back..BUT..if you don't get the cables adjusted properly (which isn't very hard) the throttle will not return smoothly.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Throttle works fine !! Just haven't scene it before ... as for altitude its pretty flat here in toronto ... lol , I guess ill just have to print up a few pages on the carbs and dive right in !! The bike sat for two yrs and everything does appear to be working , im just thinking 2 yr old gas was sitting in those carbs for two yrs .. he did have fuel stabilizer in the gas , but still !! Unless someone can suggest something to mix in with the fuel to clean things up ???

Comment

Why don't you just run the bike and see what it does first, maybe you don't need to strip them apart? you might be lucky.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

If he drained the carbs before storing them they should be fine. If not, you will probably have to strip them down. It's easy on VM carbs. I agree though, run it first and see what happens.

The difference in the carbs is how the throttle works. You control the slide directly on the VMs. On the CVs you control a butterfly valve, engine vacuum controls the slide and thus the mixture. This is how it compensates for elevation changes, and it's more fuel efficient. The bigger bore can give more total horsepower but you lose a tiny bit of throttle response in some situations. Since you live and ride in a flat place the VMs are fine. A lot of people prefer them for the throttle response and the easier tuning.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
            Are these vm 26 ss ccarbs any good ? My gs 650 gl has vm 32 carbs .. I dont know isnt bigger better ?
            Somehow, I really doubt that.

Your 650 has BS32s, not VM32s. There is a BIG difference.

Before you try to compare size for size, realize that the two carbs have a vastly different design and can not be compared directly.

The VM26 carbs that came on a 1000 were replaced by BS34s, which actually flow about the same. The GS1100 used the same BS34s, the 1150 used BS36s.

Going down the other direction, the same BS32 carbs were used on the 550, 650, 700, 750 and 850, with only changes to jetting.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Your correct Steve my 650 has the Bs32 carbs ... and I was familiar with the carbs on the 650 , not familiar with the carbs on my new 1000 ..
              Was running the bike just up and down the street yesterday and after about 10 min , then when I parked the bike left it sitting idling in the driveway with the air box off , thats when I noticed exhaust smoke would shoot out from where the air box should be when I gave the bike throttle , when I turned the bike off it appeared to be a small amount of oil beneath the bike but it smealt like gas ..
              Going to take the tank off tonight and have a closer look ..

Comment

It's pretty common for the petcock to fail on these bikes after sitting a while and filling the crankcase with gas. I would follow your nose to the oil in the crankcase and check it out before any damage is done.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Ill do that now .. thx for the suggestion

Comment

Working...
                  X