No announcement yet.

Fuel Line Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since we’re on old threads.... this tygon tubing has done well by me. Slightly harder after three years, but still flexible and grabs barbs fine. It’s not metric, but works fine without clamps.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

@Nessism. Thanks. That's exactly what I am up to.

I am Pulling the carb bank for cleaning, rejetting, and gaskets. Wanted to put it back together with new fuel hoses and vacuum hoses too. After some research, I've managed to nail down the fuel feed hose as a 7mm ID.

It seems I can use 3/16" ID black hose for the vacuum runs?? Is this correct

i do really like the look of the reddish clear hose for the fuel system
      i found dime city cycles has it but it isn't in metric sizes.....
      anyone out there have a source for metric sizes on this ???

thanks a bunch guys
      andrew
      sigpic

1978 GS 750

Comment

There is nothing like having the proper parts here.

From Parts Outlaw:

Vent hose - 09355-45855-600

Fuel hose - 09352-70103-00B

Overflow hose - 13683-45070

With the vent hose and fuel hose, you will get one long piece of hose. The vent hose might be just enough to cut and use for both pieces that you need. The fuel hose will be about 6 feet long, which is MUCH longer than you need. I have not ordered the overflow hoses, and I can't tell from the description how long it might be. Hopefully the length that is ordered will handle more than one carb.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I understand that OEM is the way to go for parts/ gaskets etc..

Ive used part outlaw, bike bandit and partszilla many times; but I wanted to know if anyone had used an aftermarket clear or translucent red fuel hose before, and had been happy with its performance, fitment and longevity
          thanks
          Last edited by Tarantulahed504; 11-08-2017, 05:36 PM.
          sigpic

1978 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by Tarantulahed504 View Post
            I understand that OEM is the way to go for parts/ gaskets etc..

Ive used part outlaw, bike bandit and partszilla many times; but I wanted to know if anyone had used an aftermarket clear or translucent red fuel hose before, and had been happy with its performance, fitment and lingevitiy

thanks
            That's a pretty generic description, not sure you will get pertinent info unless you can name the fuel line by brand and even then, not sure. Most of the cheaper aftermarket brand clear tubes get hard as they age. I'm sure there are exceptions though.
            Last edited by Nessism; 11-08-2017, 06:52 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I used some off the shelf hose from Autozone. Goes on easier and stays on without a clamp after 2 years.

I think any hose designed for fuel will work.
              Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
              2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

So does anyone have experience with the red translucent fuel hose that dime city cycles supplies?
                sigpic

1978 GS 750

Comment

I just took a quick look at their site, I only saw 3/16" and 1/4" translucent fuel line.

The 3/16" simply will not work. The 1/4" might flow enough fuel, but you will have a hard time getting it over the various fittings on the petcock and carbs.

The red might look cool, but if you have to work that hard to make it happen, is it really worth it?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

originally i was reliving this thread to ask about the one members experience with the clear 7mm ID hose from McMaster Carr. I had just found the red translucent one on DCC website browsing around
                    sigpic

1978 GS 750

Comment

That line will most likely be fine, but it will harden within a year or so and make servicing tricky if you have to go into the carbs again.

A better bang for your buck (my opinion) would be to use a good quality OEM fuel line and work on replacing your plug wires with some 7mm copper core RED wires if you want to add a splash of color. There is info in the archives about how to extract the OEM wires from the stock coils and replace them. For about $2/foot for red wire you can make a functional improvement (maybe) and add the splash of color you seem to want.
                      Last edited by Nessism; 11-09-2017, 11:06 AM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My local napa stocks 3 sizes of Tygon line,roughly 3/16,1/4,5/16. The same yellowish soft fuel line like weed trimmers and chainsaws use. I try to keep 5-6ft of each on hand, one of the 3 will work on all the bikes I've ever worked On?
                        This stuff stays soft longer than any I've Used!
                        Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by srg View Post
                          7mm is 9/32 inches....I looked on Z1 enterprises site, they have:

3/16" Internal Diameter, 5/16" Outside Diameter
                          1/4" Internal Diameter, 7/16" Outside Diameter
                          5/16" Internal Diameter, 1/2" Outside Diameter

The 5/16" would be the closest to 7mm, I suppose?
                          Fuel line is measured by inside diameter. 5/16" (inside diameter) is a excellent fit for the gas line on a GS. The petcock vacuum line is 1/4" inside diameter.
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs7501166 View Post
                            My local napa stocks 3 sizes of Tygon line,roughly 3/16,1/4,5/16. The same yellowish soft fuel line like weed trimmers and chainsaws use. I try to keep 5-6ft of each on hand, one of the 3 will work on all the bikes I've ever worked On?
                            This stuff stays soft longer than any I've Used!
                            Hope this helps!
                            The engine can draw a pretty strong vacuum. I would be concerned about the vacuum sucking that soft line flat.
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                              The engine can draw a pretty strong vacuum. I would be concerned about the vacuum sucking that soft line flat.
                              That might matter if there were flow happening; as it is, the pressure would be equal both sides of the flat as there is always some leakage. The air in the line doesn't have to flow, just mostly leave, once.

The old original taps had a one way valve to hold the vacuum and keep the diaphragm from pulsing at low rpm. It had slight leakage to allow the valve to close on shutoff.

The tubing will still have a figure 8 shaped leak when flat.
                              '82 GS450T

Comment

I went with stock OEM sluzzy hose

Waiting on Z1 to get the fuel tubes back in stock now.....

also I'm in need of a vm26 carb body. Previous owner drilled a 1/16" hole where the pilot fuel screw installs. UGH!!!

anyone got one??
                                sigpic

1978 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                                X