No announcement yet.

Priming carbs, spinning starter and won't shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to open them back up and see if the floats are installed the right way and check that when you move the floats that the float needles do in fact open and close and dont hang up. Be sure floats dont rub on the gaskets too.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDuke View Post
      I did not rebuild the clutch. I did recently reinstall the clutch cable and the clutch release and tightened it to the point that there is very little play in the lever, could I have over tightened it? Could it be a clutch release adjustment issue?
      What about the shifting issue. Could it be caused by an adjustment issue on the clutch release? It has a locking nut and screw adjuster and I just turned the screw until it stopped and locked it down with the nut. That may have been the wrong way to go about it.

Comment

What about the shifting issue. Could it be caused by an adjustment issue on the clutch release? It has a locking nut and screw adjuster and I just turned the screw until it stopped and locked it down with the nut. That may have been the wrong way to go about it.
        Sorry to be harsh, but you need to put your tools down and do some reading. You have multiple problems all of which are minor and solvable. Find out more about your bike before dicking with it.
        Last edited by allojohn; 04-22-2014, 01:14 PM.
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
          Sorry to harsh, but you need to put your tools down and do some reading. You have multiple problems all of which are minor and solvable. Find our more about your bike before dicking with it.
          I know, I know. Although, I've spent quite a bit of time flipping through the Clymer and service manual but not everything is spelled out as clearly as a novice needs. And I've also had a hell of a time finding clear answers to some of these issues, maybe because I don't know the right question to ask. When I run into a snag I come here for advice from experienced folks.

Comment

Everything you need to know is here:

Have you read it all?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Let's solve one problem at a time. Are you sure you connected the fuel line to the correct place on the carbs?
              Last edited by JTGS850GL; 04-22-2014, 11:13 AM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                Air locked??? Find a new neighbor!!

Seriously, you need to use the prime function of your petcock to fill the bowls. If they still wont fill then verify you're getting gas directly from the petcock with it in prime. If not, check to see if you have enough gas in the tank. That actually would be the first check. One gallon wont cut it. If it's still a no go from the petcock then change the petcock.
                Yeah that is a new one "air locked" only way they could be air locked if you sealed up the breather tubes and such.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Everything you need to know is here:

Have you read it all?
                  I've read the links that apply to my bike and the work I've done. Not all of it is useful to me. It has been extremely helpful though.

Comment

Okay, "air locked" is gonna be used from now on for any reason gas isn't getting into the carbs. I so decree!
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Air locked is a mental condition.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                        Let's solve one problem at a time. Are you sure you connected the fuel line to the correct place on the carbs?
                        The bag was connected to the tee btwn 2 and 3. I just sprayed some carb cleaner in there to see if it was blocked and it seems that that is probably the issue. It filled with fluid but didn't drain.

Comment

Before you get too creative there, and since you will aparently be pulling the carbs off, anyway, ...

have you done a full 'strip-and-dip' cleaning on the carbs and replaced all the o-rings?

If not, this would be the PERFECT time to do it.

Please remember, when it comes to carb cleaning, EVERY SHORTCUT YOU TAKE IS JUST ONE MORE TIME YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE THE CARBS.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The bag was connected to the tee btwn 2 and 3. I just sprayed some carb cleaner in there to see if it was blocked and it seems that that is probably the issue. It filled with fluid but didn't drain.
                            Unlikely that the tee is blocked - did you adjust the float heights and close off the float valves completely, accidentally.....
                            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              have you done a full 'strip-and-dip' cleaning on the carbs and replaced all the o-rings?
                              I did soak all the parts in Berrymans, cleaned them up, got the new oring kit, then reassembled. Perhaps the floats are the issue then?

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                              Unlikely that the tee is blocked - did you adjust the float heights and close off the float valves completely, accidentally.....
                              I checked the float heights and it was all in spec, no adjustment needed. Maybe I just have to open them up and take a look.

Comment

Yep, I'd say dropping the carbs is going to be your next step. Once you take the float bowls off it should become apparent as to where the problem is. With the carbs upright, the floats should hang loose and allow movement upward. The needles should not be stuck but move up and down with the floats.

Quick check: You should be able to blow air through the fuel line inlet with the carbs upright and not be able to blow any air through the fuel line with the carbs inverted.

Post pics if you question what is wrong.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                                X