Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting idle on 1100EZ ('82)

I can barely see what the owner's manual calls the "Throttle stop screw."

What's the easiest way to adjust it? Removal/lifting the gas tank?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

On most of the bikes with the CV-type carbs (like yours), I find it easiest to sit on the bike and reach in with my left hand. You can't really grip the knob, you can only press on the side of it and roll it one direction or the other. Of course, it helps if the threads are clean and the knob moves easily.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

One thing nice about slightly newer bikes, you can usually reach the idle speed knob easily, usually sticking out the side of the rack. I'd like to figure out how to do it on the CV carbs on GSes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'd like to know also. Just got my 1100E and it idles about 1900.

Comment

I think mine idles at around 1400, a little high, but that's when it warmed up really well, when it's cold it idles around 1000-1100 or so.
          I just reach underneath the carbs and grab the screw and commence to turning it. Easy, peasey.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Got it! Set it to 1100 rpm. seems like a good starting point.

Comment

Working...
            X