number one missfire-carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

number one missfire-carbs?

OK, 82 gs1100g Got it mostly cleaned up now and ready to go but I am still having an issue with number one. I have good compression and spark. Even made sure to do some ohm testing to make sure I was getting the right amount of juice. I have now had this bike for 2 years and have only taken in around the block on test rides. I couldn't figure it out so I took it to a place to let them figure it out, $500 bucks latter nothing. I now have it over at a friends house for him to work on it. This guys I actually trust. He has been building old jap bikes for longer than I have been alive, and seems to have run into every problem in the world and been able to fix them, as he says, the right way. This friend has had my bike now since October and still hasn't done anything to it. What a friend right. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you don't do much (if any) of the work yourself.

What all has been done to the bike? There are a few things that are MANDATORY, just to get it running and back on the road. Then, there are a few more things that will make it reliable.

Among the MANDATORY items are valve adjustment, carb cleaning and electrical clean-ups. Brakes and tires should be high on the list, too.

"Having an issue with number one" isn't much of a description.
    If you have taken it around the block it obviously starts and runs, so what is the problem?

If you really suspect carburation, there are a few of us that advertise our carb cleaning and rebuilding services on the "Parts and Services" forum.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have checked the valve clearances and adjusted them, almost all of them were OK but a couple needed adjusted slightly. Changed all the fluids(motor oil, trans, secondary drive oil, brake fluid). I have replaced the regulator/rectifier with a new one, put a new clutch one it(just the plates, everything else was OK), made sure to do an ohm test on the coils and cdi to make sure everything was OK there. There was no leaking around the head or cam chain tensioner, just dirty, so nothing was done there. Did the brakes, bought new tires to mount, replaced the rear suspension with the air shocks off an 83-1100gk(I'm a fat guy according to my daughter). As far as the carbs go I did a complete tear down and rebuild with the help of a friend that I trust. I was running out of free time at that point so I started to ask friends for help. That is where it sits at now. The bike didn't run when I purchased it. I did get it to start about a month latter and it ran poorly so that's when I started going over it. I have checked the float levels, jet sizes, gaskets, so on and so forth and every time I have had them apart I always replace the soft bits. The bike cracks right off as soon as you hit the start button, except for number one. Its a four cylinder so it should run on all four cylinders. At this point I am just so busy with my job and kids that I don't really have a lot of time to give to the bike. Every one I talk to says its gotta be the carbs. I also replaced the intake boot o-rings, they weren't bad but I did it anyway. All of that I did myself but like I said until this winter I just don't have much free time. I did buy a Clymers manual just in case I didn't know how to do something. Any idea's would be helpful. Maybe I missed something.

Comment

Is the plug in 1 wet or dry?
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I did not see any mention of a carb sync.

If #1 is closed more than the others, it will not fire at idle speeds.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            Is the plug in 1 wet or dry?
            By this, he means check it after you've started it up and cruised around neighborhood a bit. At these low speeds, the engine is relying on slow speed circuits to feed it properly- #1 might be getting none or maybe too much, so pull the plug and have a look after some running (have gloves and plug wrench handy)
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

i had a plugged pilot jet on mine and it caused that cylinder to not fire until i got on the main jet.

Comment

Going to get the bike back next week. Wont be able to do anything until then. I did bench sync the carbs after the rebuild. Basically used a thin piece of wire and set all the carbs starting with 1 & 2 then 3 &4 then both sides together. Then put them on the bike, hooked up the manometer and only had to adjust things by a hairs width, granite that's only a vacuum sync. I will do a plug check next week and see if that can tell me anything.

Comment

this is good info. might be my problem.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I did not see any mention of a carb sync.

If #1 is closed more than the others, it will not fire at idle speeds.

Comment

Working...
                  X