Easy Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy Question

New guy here so please excuse the *dumb* question. I went to remove my tank this weekend (78 GS750E) and realized that the bolt that secures the tank (accessible by lifting the seat) is missing. I presumed the tank was secured by other bolts as well but discovered that it is not. Needless to say, I'm pretty adamant about replacing that bolt--but I do not know what size it is. I tried several combinations of SAE bolts I had on-hand and none seemed to fit correctly because I assume the bolt is metric. Can anyone tell me what size bolt I need? Thank you.

Hi gbrown.

Welcome to the forum.

Theese bikes are metric. All the bolts are metric.

On mine, by memory, it's an 8mm bolt.
    Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
    1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Please, please, do not let any SAE bolt, nut or screw come within throwing distance of your bike. Every single fastener on the bike is metric.
      Try finding another bolt on the bike that will fit properly, then take it to the hardware store and match it with a similar metric fastener. Be sure and get a washer for it also, BTW.

Comment

At the very least, order the proper bolt from one of our online vendors.

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        Be sure and get a washer for it also, BTW.
        Are the rubber grommets and the metal spacer sleeve there, or do you just have a large hole?

All those parts are available and cheap. I think the total for all new parts there will be about $8.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

http://www.bikebandit.com/1978-suzuk...6102#sch267536 You need #'s 26,27,28,29,30 to secure the tank properly. There are two rubber isolators, A steel spacer and bolt and washer. You probably could get the bolt and washer locally. Its either an 8 or 10mm with either 1.5 or 1.25 thread pitch i can't remember for sure. You also need the two rubber mounting bushings on the front of the tank if yours are missing. They are #24 in the same diagram. That way your tank wont flop around on you. Hope this helps.......

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            All those parts are available and cheap. I think the total for all new parts there will be about $8.
            Ya, and about $8 in shipping. It always ticks me off on how much the shipping costs can add up. Check with a local Suzuki dealer and compare prices. Take them an internet quote and see if they'll match it. You may end up paying tax but it may still be less in the end. Can't hurt to try.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks all for the help. I had sourced a M8 bolt at work, but didn't realize I was missing the cushion, spacer, etc. Looks like I'll be doing a bit of online shopping later...

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                Ya, and about $8 in shipping. It always ticks me off on how much the shipping costs can add up.
                That's the worst part about having an old bike. The only place to get reasonably priced parts is online. Then you have to pay shipping and don't forget it will be at least a week before you can ride again. SMH!!!! My Suzuki dealer has to order everything anyway and their price is easily twice what everywhere else is. Oh EBAY how i love thou lol

Comment

What ever you do, stay far, far away from Bike Bandit. Some of the highest prices on the web. Boulevard Suzuki is the current favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    Boulevard Suzuki is the current favorite.
                    I googled this and only saw results for the boulevard model on Suzuki's website. No dealer or website called Boulevard Suzuki. Help? Thanks.

Comment

Actually PartsOutlaw.com has done me will. I've had some problems recently from G&S. VERY late shipments along with communications issues.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I discovered Parts Outlaw, here's the thing that irks me:

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                          Actually PartsOutlaw.com has done me will. I've had some problems recently from G&S. VERY late shipments along with communications issues.
                          PartsOutlaw is what used to be Boulevard Suzuki.

They are the current recipients of my business, as well.

Used to brag about G&S, but got screwed there, so moved to PartsOutlaw.

I took some internet prices in to a Yamaha dealer when we were rebuilding carbs on my son's Venture. He matched all the prices and did not charge shipping (but had to charge tax). Two items on which he could not match prices were the valve cover gaskets. He said the internet prices were less than his cost, so he split the difference with me.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ya, that's been what I've found as well. The local dealers know that they're loosing $$$ to the internet and have started to match prices if you bring them quotes. They only will match OEM Suzuki to OEM Suzuki. No way they'll match aftermarket for OEM. The local Suzuki dealer near me has to order weekly anyway. Why not just add a couple extra items and get whatever profit he's going to get. He knows that if he doesn't match then I'll just walk away.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                            X