83 gs650gl air mixture screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs650gl air mixture screw

Ok my 650 was running good 2 weeks ago that is after replacing 4 new intake boots and o rings , oh and then there was the battery issue which was fixed afterreplacing the battery and rectifier .... melted wires
    Now just yesterday I noticed a clapping sound coming from the exhaust on the right side , being #1 & #2 ... well this morning I try riding the bike and the clapping out of the right side seamed to be louder , soturned around and brought the bike home ..
    Well tonite I ripped the exhaust pipes off checked joints , and yeah I had a small exhaust leak but I corrected that and put the hole exhaust back together .. then I took it for a toot and it responded alot better , but something still isnt right !! Like everything worked fine last week ...
    So lifted tank up and wedged 2x4 under tank to give me room to play with the airmixture screws while the bike was warmed up ..
    Backed out all screws 2 turns , adjusted idle to 900 rpm then started with #1 . Turned in lightly seating air mixture screw , heres the thing ... no drop in idle when air mixture screw was seated !! Then backed out listening carefully for those rps to climb ... and guess what THEY DIDNT !! .VERY CONFUSED ...
    ok so I jumped to # 2 out of curiosity , and get this same thing !!
    #3 &#4 idle adjusted as it should ...
    I know im gunna have to pull these carbs . But thought id throw this out there ..
    WTF ???????

Ok just removed plugs one and two and there real dry and black .. 3& 4 look great .. and there week old plugs !! Its like one and 2 isnt getting gas .. is this possible ?

Comment

May be time to tear carbs. apart and clean and replace O-rings if you haven't done so. I would think if two cylinder weren't firing bike would run awful, if at all. Those screws are famous for breaking off the tips if seated down to tightly. Might be a problem with floats or float needles in those carbs. terrylee

Comment

Actually the carbs were out a month ago stripped and cleaned .. every nook and cranny . Float bowls all checked etc . Bike ran awsome 2 weeks ago . And mixture screws were not turned till now .. it has to be something else

Comment

Great spark and compression on all 4 cylinders !! Stumped ..

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
            ... it has to be something else
            Famous last words.

Actually, you could be correct. The screws are fine, but something jight be plugging the jets on those two carbs.

Even though they were inspected a couple of weeks ago, you are dealing with NOW.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Rain here for the next two days , so ill be pulling those carbs out tonight after work
              Sure would be nice to get some time to work on my gs1000 !!!

Comment

Working...
              X