Oil Gunk Whats This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Gunk Whats This?

I am new to this bike and looking around and I see this oil gunk build up. Can someone tell me what this is and possible reasons why its leaking?

The device is your cam chain tensioner.

There are a couple of o-rings and a gasket that apparently need to be replaced.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The mechanical part you're looking at is your cam chain tensioner. There is a paper gasket for it where it connects to the engine, that could be leaking, there are also o-rings within the tensioner itself, those could also be leaking. It is completely rebuildable. The other thing is you should look at the front of your engine and make sure you head gasket is not leaking, it could be leaking from the front and blowing back through the vents that are there. Likely it's just your cam tensioner that needs a rebuild and a new gasket but good to have a look around.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Your specific cam chain tensioner may be different, but here's the gist:

Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

......and it's automatic, as are all GS cam chain tensioners. Once you follow the tutorial and get it set, there's no need to touch it again.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
          X