Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS650G Starting Issues

Hi guys,

This is the first time I've ever run into this issue.

I've rebuilt carbs because the cylinders weren't getting fuel. Now we're getting fuel. While I hold the starter button down the bike stutters like it wants to start, but won't. On one occasion it had and ran well but definitely doesn't like to start cold.

Is there a method to check ignition coils and regulator/rectifier? Anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks,
    Tony

Is this a new-to-you bike, or an old friend that you rebuilt carbs for?
    Proper carb cleaning is an art on these CV carbs- how exactly did you do it?

It's easy to check ignition system, try this link

The R/R -good or bad- won't interfere with starting. But you do need a decent battery.

Oh yeah, welcome- there sure are lots of 650's still around!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

When is the last time the valves were adjusted?

If you don't know or simply can't remember, it's time.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's a new to me bike. Had been sitting for years. All plugs have spark and all cylinders have fuel. Just doesn't look like a strong spark. Coils were getting about 2 volts less than what the battery produces.

Comment

When I did my resistance test across the coils I was getting values of only 5ohms. This seems very low compared to the help link provided. Thanks for the link by the way. I'll have to go through each item one by one I guess until the issue is resolved. Fortunately I have a 3 week old son that takes up a lot of my time now. I was hoping someone had the same issue and could point me in one direction. But from my investigation there are many cases of hard cold starting all of which have many variables.

Comment

If it's a visible spark its good enough to run. I have seen some bikes with almost invisible sparks run just fine. I'd make sure the valve clearances are correct first, as that's the one that will do expensive damage if it's not right, as well as make it impossible to start. Then go step by step through the whole thing until the entire motorcycle is operating perfectly.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My 79 GS850 has always hated cold starting right from the day I bought it in 1989. Suzuki said this was a common thing.

Comment

It's not. You Suzuki shop didn't know what they were doing, you have been riding a bike with a starting problem ever since. Set up correctly they start with a momentary flick of the button every time, in any temperature down to the sub zero.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by awilchiwsky View Post
                  When I did my resistance test across the coils I was getting values of only 5ohms. This seems very low compared to the help link provided. Thanks for the link by the way. I'll have to go through each item one by one I guess until the issue is resolved. Fortunately I have a 3 week old son that takes up a lot of my time now. I was hoping someone had the same issue and could point me in one direction. But from my investigation there are many cases of hard cold starting all of which have many variables.
                  Greetings and Salutations, (EDIT: Please DO NOT "Reply" to this thread to introduce yourself. This is an informational post only. Feel free to start a new thread in the "GS Owners" section of the forum to introduce yourself. Thanks!) Every once in a while I will miss a new member or two and they may not

Everyone here has had such problems

That's why someone put it all on one place

Pay close attention to the Top 10 Newbie mistakes, once you've eliminated all of those, you can zero in on any remaining problem

Happy reading!
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

"...Coils were getting about 2 volts less than what the battery produces. "

This is normal with 30 yearold dirty connections- and 5 ohms primary coil resistance is OK, most of ones that I checked were 4 ohms.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X