Should make things easier for next time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should make things easier for next time

Anyone who has synchronised there carbs knows how tricky it can be fitting the adapters to the the inlet rubbers especially to cylinders 2/3 my gauges are Morgan Carbtune examples a very good piece of kit, but the adapters supplied are made of plastic, and would be worn out after a few uses, I came across some adapters made for these gauges in 5 and 6mm that can be fitted permanently, there made of brass, they are not as long as they appear in the pic, now on the same principle as the ones on my XJR though these are manufactured with the adaptors built in.
    Been out for a ride with them fitted, no issues.

Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2014, 05:18 PM.

Function over form.
    Where did you find them?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I just make a whole bunch of them in different lengths and sizes with stuff from the hardware store. Brass pipes threaded to fit, nuts, O rings. hort ones, long ones, bent ones straight. They last for years or until I lose enough that it's time to make more.

Morgan's cheap plastic junk is just that. I'm surprised they still sell them with that junk.

I'd still like to know why Suzuki put the port for them facing down. Why not right up there on top so you can see what you're doing?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

Morgan's cheap plastic junk is just that. I'm surprised they still sell them with that junk.

I'd still like to know why Suzuki put the port for them facing down. Why not right up there on top so you can see what you're doing?
        So true, can't understand why they manufactured them that way.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Function over form.
          Where did you find them?
          On flea bay, a seller in the UK.

Comment

Morgan sells brass adapters for their carbune as well. They apparently come with caps to make them suitable for permanent installation.

Interested to hear more details/see pictures from people who have made their own.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Good luck with those adapters.

They might work if your bike is tuned perfectly and runs well.

I got some similar adapters from Z1 for my 850. My bike will hiccup occasionally while warming up. One of those hiccups spit the cap off the adapter and I did not notice it until I was about half an hour down the road. I got some caps that fit tighter, they got spit off, too. I went back to the stock plugs in the ports.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Probably on the theory that a customer's filthy bike (or the shop monkey) might drop something into the intake leading to unnecessary warranty claims.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                  Morgan sells brass adapters for their carbune as well. They apparently come with caps to make them suitable for permanent installation.

Interested to hear more details/see pictures from people who have made their own.
                  Yes these are the ones, and are designed to be permanently fitted.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I got some similar adapters from Z1 for my 850. My bike will hiccup occasionally while warming up. One of those hiccups spit the cap off the adapter and I did not notice it until I was about half an hour down the road. I got some caps that fit tighter, they got spit off, too. I went back to the stock plugs in the ports.

Thought that as well Steve, they come with rubbers that are a very tight fit (very tight) but there kind of long thin and ugly looking, so there on the inside I've used some spare rubber of my XJR that are a good tight fit, and also have clamps fitted, time will tell but I'll carry a spare just incase

Comment

with barbed fittings, tight fitting caps and good fitting clamps/clips, they wont pop off. i've been running these on various different bikes for years without one popping off
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Well if it didn't just drop one of those rubbers right off it didn't feel just right yesterday evening on a run out, giving the bike a little fettle before a ride out today I noticed a bright shiny adapter looking right at me I had used two of the rubbers that came with the kit on cylinders 2/3 as I mentioned they were skinny and ugly looking, one of them sits adjacent the clutch cable and would prevent it being able to slip down, it was on No3 that had gone AWOL, what was a very snug fit when cold, was a rather loose fit when hot plus I didn't use a clip on that one managed to find another type of the XJR that has clips and fitted that, just done 80 mile trip and there all still there

Comment

I have a cheap set of gauges which came with awesome hardware. Its all nickel plated brass. I think there are three sizes, and two lengths of each size. It was half the cost of the Morgan. I have a Morgan, and its better, I would say. I've synched more with the cheap set though. It works fine. The bike doesn't know the difference, apparently.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                            I have a cheap set of gauges which came with awesome hardware. Its all nickel plated brass. I think there are three sizes, and two lengths of each size. It was half the cost of the Morgan. I have a Morgan, and its better, I would say. I've synched more with the cheap set though. It works fine. The bike doesn't know the difference, apparently.
                            I've noted that myself in the past, cheaper dial type gauges coming with extension adapters 5/6mm etc, though I do think the Morgan is a nice piece of kit.

Comment

Working...
                            X