Jet Kit Air Correctors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jet Kit Air Correctors

Hey all, so this year I decided to buy the kit mainly for the taper on the needles. Now my carbs have been jetted one way or another prior to me and they already have air correctors glued in should i try to pull them out or leave them in and just use the rest?

Last year i have managed to get it running pretty decent with the exception of MPGs and once in a while it just a bit hard to start. The best MPG i've ever seen is around 35 thats with stock air box and only supertrapp 4-1 exhaust.
    Other than that planning on pulling engine on saturday for paint, new rear tire, paint wheels and do fork seals again. Should be running like new in a couple of weeks.

here is my previuos thread on my carb specs

I'll bump this. Just how important are those air correctors? Or do the needles really make the kit? I picked up a set of carbs with needles/drilled slides, but the bodies with air correctors are trashed, so now I'm curious. Seems like they restrict air and richen,the mixture?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2014, 08:42 AM.

Comment

".....Now my carbs have been jetted one way or another prior to me "

What size main jets do (or did) you (or PO) have in there ? 35 mpg is rather low .
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The jets let in fuel, the air jets, let in air to mix either in the needle jet or area around the pilot jet. If the air jets are too small, the fuel level around/surrounding the fuel jets will be too high for the fuel to mix with the air.

The air helps atomize the fuel into finer droplets as it moves through the pilot jet and needle jet.

Kinda like a paint spray gun, you can adjust paint flow, air flow or both to get a better spray pattern. It's hard to explain, but there is a reason the pilot and needle jest are long and there is a cavity around them in the carb body. The rubber plugs over the bottom of the pilot jets provide the sealing for the bottom of the "chamber". Fuel enters the pilot from the hole in the end from the main jet circuit, air enters around the "shaft" and the holes around the jets.

Comment

Working...
        X