Yet another re-jetting question. Sorry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another re-jetting question. Sorry.

I am thinking of fitting Pod Filters on my GS650, one of the reasons is that she has a Motad 4-1 exhaust and I do not think the jets have been changed, so if I need to change them I might as well do the Air Filters as well. The other reason is that I am fed up with trying to get the carbs on and off.

I have never re-jetted anything before so I will be following the guides.

A few questions:
    1) 2 jet sizes for 4 into 1 exhaust and 2 jet sizes for individual filters, so that should mean I need 120 main jets?
    2) That should also mean I need to increase the pilot jet by one size to 45?
    3) I have been looking for jets but they seem to come in all shapes, so which ones fit my carbs as I would like to get them before I dismantle them?
    3) Do I need to change anything else?

I looked into a DynoJet kit but it seems expensive for what it is when a jet (on ebay) is about £3 and the kit is £95, I live in the UK and I would like to use a decent place that sells the jets, someone I could actually speak to if necessary, any ideas?

When I stripped the carbs and fitted new O-Rings I was going to dip them, but I could not find any Carb Dip for sale in the UK so I just used the spray stuff. Mind you the carbs did look very clean when I took them off with no residue evident anywhere. I have also read, that putting the carbs (stripped) through the dishwasher works wonders. In theory sounds like a good idea, but is it?

Cheers.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2014, 04:05 AM.

Not sure what results you will get fitting pods, always seems to be one of those mods that you end up chasing round and round to achieve a reasonable results, why are you having to keep removing the carbs? The exhaust system you have fitted on your bike is designed to run with standard set up, no need for jetting etc, not saying you can't up jet with this exhaust. As you state I've not seen any of this solution folks use to dip there carbs, but plenty of carb spray cleaner should do the trick, as you say they were pretty clean in there.

I picked up a small ultrasonic cleaner from Neto a while back, not sure you would fit a full carb in it, but good for all the hardware, cost around £20.

Comment

Yeah, carb removal on this model is no fun- but if carbs are cleaned properly, you should not have to do it often. I doubt dishwasher method- I'd try finding a guy with an ultrasonic device (not a jewelry cleaner); in theory it should work with right solution.
      You'll have to go up a few sizes on main jets due to pods (the pipe by itself might have been ok with stock mains). But the problem is the stock needle shape won't work well with pods and that is what makes the expensive dynojet kit worth it- a different shaped needle.
      Then, you have to have decent pod filters also, no cheapies need apply!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

A dishwasher can do quite a lot to freshen alloy parts, but remember that most dishwasher detergents/tablets etc are heavy in salt, so you need to rinse well in fresh water and thoroughly dry immediately afterward. And do it when the wife is out.

I've not found any carb dip in the UK, so I use an ultrasonic, and then aerosol carb cleaner to verify that all the passages are clear.

And I also thought that that there was no need to re-jet for a Motad, although I can't claim personal experience.
        1980 GS550ET

Comment

GUNK Green is a good carb dip, use a fairly strong solution. available in Halfords and most motor factors.
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
            A dishwasher can do quite a lot to freshen alloy parts, but remember that most dishwasher detergents/tablets etc are heavy in salt, so you need to rinse well in fresh water and thoroughly dry immediately afterward. And do it when the wife is out.

I've not found any carb dip in the UK, so I use an ultrasonic, and then aerosol carb cleaner to verify that all the passages are clear.

And I also thought that that there was no need to re-jet for a Motad, although I can't claim personal experience.
            Had it confirmed by Motad that this was the case, have one fitted on mine, bike came running lean I didn't want to spend an age messing with jets etc if it was anything to do with the exhaust, my problem was valve adjustment, now running sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              GUNK Green is a good carb dip, use a fairly strong solution. available in Halfords and most motor factors.
              Thanks for the info

Comment

Looks like she will stay as she is, I was concerned about the exhaust change, but if Motad says it does not need re-jetting then thats good enough for me. I will run her for a couple of weeks as she is and then check the plugs and go from there.
                Thanks for all the info

Comment

Working...
                X