Do I have to sync carbs after this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have to sync carbs after this?

Hey Guys: I just picked up a very nice 1981 gs850l that has been very well taken care of. The gentleman I bought it from told me that for 31 years he has done all the maintenance required for these bikes per the specs.
    The only thing I am considering changing are the carb intake boots and the air box boots. I don't know if they have ever been changed. I forgot to ask him. I did ask about the petcock and it was. The boots seem like they are pretty soft to the touch to me. The rubber.
    If I did change them, would I have to re sync the carbs?
    I hate to touch anything the bike runs excellent.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Here is a pic of the bike

You would not have to synch the carbs if you are just replacing the boots.
    But if the boots are not rock hard or showing cracks i would not change them.
    If the bike is running and you are not having air leaks that could show up as a climbing rev or perhaps a slow return to idle after blipping the throttle, leave them alone.
    All the money you save can go for gas.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      You would not have to synch the carbs if you are just replacing the boots.
      But if the boots are not rock hard or showing cracks i would not change them.
      If the bike is running and you are not having air leaks that could show up as a climbing rev or perhaps a slow return to idle after blipping the throttle, leave them alone.
      All the money you save can go for gas.
      I'd actually look at the synchronization if I had the equipment to do so. When it's perfect they run sooooo so sweet. Boots if they are soft, not going to worry about them, but new O rings for sure. The air box and carburetors are super easy to remove on an 850, I'd take a look.

Another thing I'd absolutely look at soon, no matter who maintained it previously is the valve clearances. Actually I'd do that first as any changes will effect synchronization.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If anything just replace the four o rings on the boots , that is if the boots arestill soft ...

Comment

I agree with all the sentiments voiced here..especially that YOU always check the maintenance NO MATTER WHAT ANY PO SAYS ( unless you know them from here ). Chances are he is telling no fibs...BUT!!!
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

From the condition of the bike, I think the guy was telling the truth. He did tell me the valves were last done at 30,000 and cabs rebuilt and it is now at 36,000 so I was planning on checking the valve clearances. The gas tank looks brand new inside, and all the things he said he changed look new. Pet cock, tires, all the brakes, new rear shocks, new front seals and all fluids.

I will look into getting the o rings, but the rubber on the boots are definitely soft to the touch.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2014, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff0676 View Post
              Thanks for the info guys.

From the condition of the bike, I think the guy was telling the truth. He did tell me the valves were done at 30,000 and cabs rebuilt and it is now at 36,000 so I was planning on checking the valve clearances. The gas tank looks brand new inside, and all the things he said he changed look new. Pet cock, tires, all the brakes, new rear shocks, new front seals and all fluids.

I will look into getting the o rings, but the rubber on the boots are definitely soft to the touch.
              Sounds like you got a good PO. That's really rare, I've ony ever had one. So yeah, it's time to check the valves, that means you will want to resynch.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X