exhaust leaks at muffler joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust leaks at muffler joints

Other then welding your pipes onto the mufflers , whats a good simple way of sealing up those small leaks ?? you slip in a thin gage piece of sheet metal around a pipe before putting on muffler , you tighten the heck out of the clamp and its great for a week or so ... then it happens!
    So I want to know ... what are some of your ways of getting rid ofthat small leak once and for all ??

Have it welded? That will fix the leak for sure.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
      Other then welding your pipes onto the mufflers , whats a good simple way of sealing up those small leaks ?? you slip in a thin gage piece of sheet metal around a pipe before putting on muffler , you tighten the heck out of the clamp and its great for a week or so ... then it happens!
      So I want to know ... what are some of your ways of getting rid ofthat small leak once and for all ??
      I was using muffler sealant goop in a tube (from an auto parts stotre), slathered on the mating parts. Worked pretty well for a while, then would start to separate & leak again.

Finally had my welder friend seal it up & no leaks since!
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Try some high heat sealant, like this stuff:

Smear it heavily over the areas that slide over each other and clamp it together and let it cure, it should seal the joint up.

Comment

Why not just spring for the real gaskets???
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I didn't think he's talking about the stock exhaust but I may be wrong. He's talking about a joint between the muffler and the pipe and I thought that most, if not all, GS's had a continuous pipe from header to muffler on the outside pipes. Some clarification would help though.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
              Have it welded? That will fix the leak for sure.
              Smart ass !! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by dude99 View Post
                Try some high heat sealant, like this stuff:

Smear it heavily over the areas that slide over each other and clamp it together and let it cure, it should seal the joint up.
                Yeah I saw that exact product and had it in my hand , then thought silicone .... nah !! And put it back down ..
                So it worked ok did it ? I bet its a pain to clean when you do finally have access to a welder to weld it ..

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Why not just spring for the real gaskets???
                  These pipes and mac slip on's were on tye bike when I got the bike !! Not sure there is a real gasket for how this is setup ? Buddy had foil tape wrapped around the pipe 100 times to build it up to the od of the mac slip on ..
                  In the mean time I found a pipe that fits snug in the slip onand clamps good when around the main pipe , but it has the smallest leak and I just want to seal it up !! Plan on selling this bike once my gs1000e is up and running

Comment

Working...
                  X