GS550ef i dont understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550ef i dont understand

Runs great starts great untill the motor gets hot then without any warning dies completely well you are rideing it and will not start back up untill the bike has had time to cool down.
    why is this?

Good day blingbling0808.

Welcome to the forum.

I see You are from Kelowna and that you have a 550.

It Could me a few things.

Can you tell us about yourself and about the bike. It's history, what was done to it.

For instance. did you have for a long time and this is new?

Did you just get it?

Is the bike modified?
    Daniel

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ine=1539562056

1973 Honda ST90
    1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

I've had a bad coil do that on a car, and on a bike. Shorts internally when hot. Does it have spark when it won't run?

I've heard of ignition module failures when hot only as well.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

a bad coil really? never thought of that bad your right it doesnt sound like its getting spark when and after it shut off and wont start again and here i was thinkin carb problem thank you for your help

Comment

My gs550es was doing this, the stator wires were routed poorly by the PO and sitting on the head, they would get hot, resistance would increase and the bike would die until they cooled and the ohm load went back to normal.should be 3 yellow wires, just rout them so they stay cool before you buy a coil pack.

Comment

The ignitors are also known to be particularly bad in the 550 series as well.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
            X