Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does fuel/air adjust screw on 82 GS850 control air or fuel flow??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does fuel/air adjust screw on 82 GS850 control air or fuel flow??

Guys,

I want to be clear on what I am adjusting. I have found some contradictory info in the threads for the adjustment ...if I back the screw out (counterclockwise), am I increasing the fuel flow (making it richer?) or am I increasing the airflow and making it leaner???

Please help me settle this.

Thanks

Counter clock wise makes it richer, clock wise leaner. At least on your CV carbs, Vm carbs are opposite on air screw and also have separate fuel screw, just fyi. terrylee

Comment

I checked the BS32 carb manual on bikecliff site and it shows that an air/fuel "mixture" runs through the pilot port into the throat...there is both air AND fuel entrained in the pilot flow.

So it wasn't clear to me if the "net" effect of increasing the flow through the fuel/air port was to make it leaner overall or richer overall.

So if I screw out (counterclockwise), the net effect is to add more fuel, making it richer? I guess the increased air flow rate sucks in more fuel?

Comment

Yes, adds fuel.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I doesnt just add fuel..it adds a premixed MIXTURE of fuel and air that was mixed down in the bowls.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yes, the screw contols a mixture to the low-speed operation. Turning it out (counter-clockwise) will richen the overall mixture, turning it in will lean it.

The factory set them on the lean side to meet with EPA regulations, which caused the bikes to run poorly and took forever to warm up enough to ride. Most of us have found that a setting of 2 to 2 1/2 turns out works quite well, but we start at three turns, to ensure a nicely-rich starting point, then lean it out to where it runs best after the bike is warm.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good...I got it now...I opened to 3.5 turns, but I think I should have started by re-oiling my air filter. Last I oiled was last summer and it ran awesome. Then this spring it was running lean and surging a bit...dont know why I didnt go first to the sir filter.

I will oil tonight and then take it for a spin. Bet that fixes me and allows me to screw the pilot back in a bit.

Thanks guys

Comment

What filter do you have that requires oiling?

No matter, it does not take much oil.

If you put too much oil on the filter, you will choke off the air flow

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary_t200 View Post
                  Good...I got it now...I opened to 3.5 turns, but I think I should have started by re-oiling my air filter. Last I oiled was last summer and it ran awesome. Then this spring it was running lean and surging a bit...dont know why I didnt go first to the sir filter.

I will oil tonight and then take it for a spin. Bet that fixes me and allows me to screw the pilot back in a bit.

Thanks guys
                  Ummm, did you clean the filter first?
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yes. Turns out it was pretty dry so I loaded it up with oil, squeezed it out and now my problem is solved. I should have done the filter right away instead of messing with pilot screws. lesson learned.

Comment

At 2 1/2 turns out from slightly seated, i go Some backfires, still trying to get it running correctly but.the backfires came after tuning the air screws. Should i turn them back in some?

Comment

Personally, I would turn them OUT about 1/4 turn.

It amuses me constantly that OLD threads are being resurrected.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Yes, the screw contols a mixture to the low-speed operation. Turning it out (counter-clockwise) will richen the overall mixture, turning it in will lean it.

The factory set them on the lean side to meet with EPA regulations, which caused the bikes to run poorly and took forever to warm up enough to ride. Most of us have found that a setting of 2 to 2 1/2 turns out works quite well, but we start at three turns, to ensure a nicely-rich starting point, then lean it out to where it runs best after the bike is warm.

Thanks for this!

Comment

ok, thanks Steve. It's ok, it's not that old sir

Comment

Originally posted by jprice90 View Post
                              ok, thanks Steve. It's ok, it's not that old sir
                              Just two weeks shy of a full year.

The thread might not be "that" old, but I AM.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X