78 gs1000c petcock nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs1000c petcock nightmare

Hi Everyone this is my first post so please be patient and let me know if i am doing this right.My 78 gs1000 c petcock only works on reserve and then it will not provide enough gas to keep up with the throttle-checked the cap,vaccum line -removed the petcock and cleaned interior-strecthed the spring a bit like a mechanic friend suggested-still no better flow-you can see the fuel slowing down and speeding up with gas line removed.Now the vaccum line seems to suck too much air also-What is best next step please?

Just replace it. Not worth messing with. Z-1 Enterprises has good ones fairly inexpensive.
    Welcome to the forum.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks!! Didn't know where to find one thats not hundreds of dollars!! I appreciate the help! And thanks for the welcome too!

Comment

is you tank at least 1/2 full of gas?

What happens when you put it on Prime/
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Just keep in mind the one from Z1 that fit your bike have the outflows pointing toward the seat so your fuel line will have to be a lot longer in order to make the bend back towards the tank. It can work though. I bought one from them for an 850, it only lasted 3 yrs
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Use one for a '77 GS750, hoses will be a little tight, but it will work, Chuck Hahn can give you the details better than I can.
            It's an not as expensive alternative to replacing that 1000 petcock with a new 1000 petcock, cost prohibitive.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
            X