Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAC 4into1 Exhaust Leak

Quick question.

I can't seem to get my MAC 4into1 pipes to not leak a small amount at the connection between the muffler and the header.

Maybe I'm not cranking the clamp down tight enough? Torque spec?

Maybe I'm inserting the muffler too far onto the header? It is currently sleeved onto the header as far as it will go.

Any wisdom and advice would be great! I just finished the motor rebuild and it is running great! I just want a sealed exhaust system!!

Is there a large difference between ID of muffler and OD of header ? like 1/8 inch?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You could try a little muffler cement when you slide them together. If you can keep them from leaking for a while, they will carbon over the joint and seal themselves.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I think that's just a MAC thing. Weld it.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have a Mac exhaust and I had to hammer mine down pretty hard for it not to leak

Comment

I reinstalled the pipe with some exhaust cement. It is definitely better, but still has a small leak...

Comment

It will most likely seal itself in time if it doesn't blow the cement out before it gets carbon coated inside. You can always try it again if it doesn't or go the permanent way and weld it. Posting back as soon as you did points to not letting it set up long enough before you tried it.
              Last edited by OldVet66; 05-10-2014, 03:13 PM.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Better!

No leaks now. Man, is it running well!!

Comment

So what did you do to seal the leak?
                  http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                  1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I took oldvet66's advice.

I used some exhaust cement and clamped a little bit tighter than I was before....I'm not feeling any leaks now.

Comment

Exhaust Leaks

So from what you have written am I to assume that even the slightest leak will effect the performance?

I have several small leaks which I can hear and feel but I am not bothered to repair as long as they are not unduly affecting the performance noticeably.

Greetings
                      Richard
                      sigpic
                      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Exhaust leaks....

I don't think a small leak or two will cause great performance losses on 30+ year old bikes, but hey, I like to reach for perfection!

Comment

Small leaks can cause some back firing on deceleration. I don't think a small leak would have any measurable change in performance beyond that.
                          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                          X