low rpm lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low rpm lag

My 80 gs850 is having a lag issue at part throttle. Idles OK. Top end is fantastic. I have pods. Can I move the metering needles to help this or do I have to rejet? Not too familiar with these so sorry if I'm a little green.

Ahh Pittsburgh boy!
    I lived in the area once
    If your running at all with pods someone must have jetted it and shimmed the needle or put a jet kit in it.
    To get rid of the stumble you'll need to move the clip on the jet kit needle or get a jet kit if the stock needle was shimmed.
    Only way to know is to open up the carbs and have a look and you may as well rebuild them while in there.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Ahh Pittsburgh boy!
      I lived in the area once
      If your running at all with pods someone must have jetted it and shimmed the needle or put a jet kit in it.
      To get rid of the stumble you'll need to move the clip on the jet kit needle or get a jet kit if the stock needle was shimmed.
      Only way to know is to open up the carbs and have a look and you may as well rebuild them while in there.
      Other side of the state but close enough lol

No I put the pods on because the stock airbox was destroyed. Bike was all stock when i got it. I rebuilt the carbs but wasnt aware these could be adjusted till after I reassembled everything. I put them in the stock center position when rebuilding. Would I still have to jet them or can I get away with adjusting the needle positioning? I've rebuilt mikunis before but never ran pods before or modified anything from stock so I'm still learning. The pipes are stock as well. I guess running pods was a bad idea but I planned on ratting it eventually and seemed like a quick upgrade and a cleaner look than the obtuse ugly not to mention expensive stock airbox setup. I know I know slap me for being naive..

Comment

Originally posted by bikerdave View Post
        My 80 gs850 is having a lag issue at part throttle. Idles OK. Top end is fantastic. I have pods. Can I move the metering needles to help this or do I have to rejet? Not too familiar with these so sorry if I'm a little green.
        Is your lag in lower gears slower speed? mine had this top end was great though, found it to be running lean, did the valve adjustment, changed the o rings on the pilot screws, screws adjusted to 2.5 turns from seated, the above made a huge improvement, just left the slighted of lag/ hesitation this was finally sorted by another quarter turn on the pilot screw been spot on since, though I run with a standard air box.

Comment

Unless your bike is Canadian you have a jet kit.
          Now you can jet the bike. See if you are rich or lean by pulling your spark plugs and reading them.
          Post pictures here if you can.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

The lag is most noticeable in first gear coming off a stop I usually have to slip the clutch quite a bit or it will stall. Once I'm above the 2-4k rpm range she takes off like a rocket. Its like the first part of the throttle is flat but once I open it so far it takes off. I've replaced every thing in the carbs. I have a colortune, I have the pilot screw's set decent I think. I checked the synch with a manometer and its on the money. It idles fine, just seems very flat in the low power band. My slides are free and clean diaphragms in good shape. Just frustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerdave View Post
              The lag is most noticeable in first gear coming off a stop I usually have to slip the clutch quite a bit or it will stall. Once I'm above the 2-4k rpm range she takes off like a rocket. Its like the first part of the throttle is flat but once I open it so far it takes off. I've replaced every thing in the carbs. I have a colortune, I have the pilot screw's set decent I think. I checked the synch with a manometer and its on the money. It idles fine, just seems very flat in the low power band. My slides are free and clean diaphragms in good shape. Just frustrated.
              Did you read my post?

Comment

Working...
              X